none
Ie 11 and the back button RRS feed

• Question

• Tried mentioning the following in a question set from last spring where I didn't like the answer -- but now feel my post was way too buried to get a response.

While prior IE  versions were easy to jump backward (or forward) several webpages, IE 11 has never allowed me to do it on either laptop (Win 8.1).  The right click maneuver, whether using the keyboard touchpad or simply a press-and-hold proxy in tablet mode, no resonse or it just goes back or forward ONE spot.  happen on both the Samsung ATIV Smart PC (upgraded from win 8 to 8.1) and on the latest hp split x2 that came with 8.1 and ie 11 preinstalled.

Didn't try resetting ie 11 as I don't want to lose all previous settings.  And, as I said, the situation has been this way on both computers from the first moments on ie 11.  Is there something to try short of a reset on both computers?

Sunday, November 9, 2014 3:24 AM

Answers

• Hi  AtticusSpeaks

Does this issue occur in specific website ? Have you tried to use ALT+Left Arrow or ALT+ Right Arrow?

Did this issue occur when you got a chance to perform a back option shown as ?

1.First of all ,I recommend you to run Windows Update to ensure the machine with the latest update.

2.And then I recommend you to release the cache of the Internet Explorer. To release the cache:

Tools \Safety \Delete Browsing History

If necessary, delete all of them.

3.If the issue persists, I recommend you to open the Internet Explorer without add-ons to have a try .If the issue gone, try to manage the add-ons and disable one by one to locate the problematic add-on.

To open the Internet Explorer without add-ons :

Run “iexplore.exe -extoff” from the start screen.

To manage add-ons :

Tools \Manage add-ons

Best regards  
    Monday, November 10, 2014 9:23 AM
  • IE 11 has never allowed me to do it on either laptop (Win 8.1).

Is this about Desktop IE or MUF IE?  If the latter I agree:  WYSIWWG.   Otherwise, it sounds like your problem could be with your OS right-click using either your Touch or Touchpad.  Again, that would be (IMO) WAD/BAD.  Do you have a real mouse you could right-click with instead?  That would give you a much more reliable right-click "experience".  Alternatively, there is always Alt-V G  and the History bar (Ctrl-Shift-H).

BTW if it is about the same scenario in MUF IE have you tried swiping extra hard?  Supposedly, we can swipe back (without accidentally causing the AppSwitcher to be invoked) in order to get the equivalent of a Backspace, Alt-CursorLeft, or Back button click but I usually have a very hard time making that happen even when a redirect is not involved.  So when a redirect is involved we have at least double the difficulty and no alternatives such as the ones I mentioned above. Probably then it would be best/most reliable to use the Open in Desktop tool, perform the necessary action there and then use the Open in Immersive... command if desired.  

When I had this experience on my TouchSmart tx2 I was willing to excuse it for the possibility of old hardware not being supported but now I am using Surface 2 and I still see these ugly UX scenarios and am not willing to be so forgiving.  The MUF UX (at least as implemented by MUF IE)  is broken.

Also, for the Press and hold method of right-click, you need to make sure that you have tuned it to do what you want.  E.g. often I disable both types of Press and hold because mis-recognition problems with overly long swipe attempts seem to occur.  In that case on my Surface Pro I can still use my pen's barrel click instead but then of course I have to remember to use that feature instead of my finger (or instead of trying to press and hold with my pen) when I want to do a right-click.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, November 10, 2014 5:51 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi  AtticusSpeaks

Does this issue occur in specific website ? Have you tried to use ALT+Left Arrow or ALT+ Right Arrow?

Did this issue occur when you got a chance to perform a back option shown as ?

1.First of all ,I recommend you to run Windows Update to ensure the machine with the latest update.

2.And then I recommend you to release the cache of the Internet Explorer. To release the cache:

Tools \Safety \Delete Browsing History

If necessary, delete all of them.

3.If the issue persists, I recommend you to open the Internet Explorer without add-ons to have a try .If the issue gone, try to manage the add-ons and disable one by one to locate the problematic add-on.

To open the Internet Explorer without add-ons :

Run “iexplore.exe -extoff” from the start screen.

To manage add-ons :

Tools \Manage add-ons

Best regards  
    Monday, November 10, 2014 9:23 AM
  • IE 11 has never allowed me to do it on either laptop (Win 8.1).

Is this about Desktop IE or MUF IE?  If the latter I agree:  WYSIWWG.   Otherwise, it sounds like your problem could be with your OS right-click using either your Touch or Touchpad.  Again, that would be (IMO) WAD/BAD.  Do you have a real mouse you could right-click with instead?  That would give you a much more reliable right-click "experience".  Alternatively, there is always Alt-V G  and the History bar (Ctrl-Shift-H).

BTW if it is about the same scenario in MUF IE have you tried swiping extra hard?  Supposedly, we can swipe back (without accidentally causing the AppSwitcher to be invoked) in order to get the equivalent of a Backspace, Alt-CursorLeft, or Back button click but I usually have a very hard time making that happen even when a redirect is not involved.  So when a redirect is involved we have at least double the difficulty and no alternatives such as the ones I mentioned above. Probably then it would be best/most reliable to use the Open in Desktop tool, perform the necessary action there and then use the Open in Immersive... command if desired.  

When I had this experience on my TouchSmart tx2 I was willing to excuse it for the possibility of old hardware not being supported but now I am using Surface 2 and I still see these ugly UX scenarios and am not willing to be so forgiving.  The MUF UX (at least as implemented by MUF IE)  is broken.

Also, for the Press and hold method of right-click, you need to make sure that you have tuned it to do what you want.  E.g. often I disable both types of Press and hold because mis-recognition problems with overly long swipe attempts seem to occur.  In that case on my Surface Pro I can still use my pen's barrel click instead but then of course I have to remember to use that feature instead of my finger (or instead of trying to press and hold with my pen) when I want to do a right-click.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, November 10, 2014 5:51 PM
    Answerer
  • Assuming Win8.1 64-bit...

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting this post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did the computer come with Win8 (or Win8.1) preinstalled, did you do a clean install of Win8 (or Win8.1), or did you upgrade a (e.g., Win7) computer to Win8?

1c. Assuming you started with Win8 => When (approx. date) was Win8.1 installed?

2. What is the full name of your currently-installed third-party anti-virus application or security suite (i.e., not Windows Defender!), if any, and when (approx. date) does your current subscription (if any) expire?

3. What third-party anti-malware applications (i.e., not Windows Defender!) are installed, if any?  What third-party firewall, if any?

4. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

5. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

Note: You will find Consumer-specific support for Internet Explorer in these forums: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 7:39 PM