re: Microsoft Word icon has replaced all original icons in the Start menu and Desktop including Firefox, Norton 360, Excel, PPT etc. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just downloaded MS Office 2010.  Now, all the office icons - Excel, PowerPoint etc ..... and all the icons in Start menu and my desktop such as Norton 360, iTunes, Quicktime Player, Calculator etc. show up as the Microsoft Word icon.

In other words all the original icons are missing and the only icon I see - for all software programs is Microsoft Word.

I had a virus on my laptop a few weeks ago and I deleted a folder .... or something ... but I'm not sure what it was.  Can someone please tell me what I deleted and how I can get it back?

Thanks,

M

Friday, October 1, 2010 5:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

After checking this issue, I suggest you could restore your system to a previous point. You can go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery to do this and check the result.

Or you could  delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk and restart. If it does not work, create a new account and import the value of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk from the new account to the problematic account.  

Note: please backup your regedit before you perform this action.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, October 8, 2010 2:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, October 8, 2010 8:25 AM
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:39 AM