none
Export all shared printers "Print Preferences" from server.

Question

• Hello, hope you are well.

The company I work for wants to make sure all colour printers on the estate are defaulted to print black and white instead of colour to reduce unnecessary costs.

I have been asked if I could investigate all the printers to make sure that they are set to print default black and white for all users.

The company has 100s of printers so don't like the idea of doing this manually.

I am wondering if there is at least a way to export all the print device information from each print server that would detail what the printer preferences are set to. I don't expect to be a lot so changing any to black and white should not be a big job to do manually, but if the information gathering could be automated then that would be a big chuck of the work.

I have found a number of printer information export PowerShell scripts which are great but they don't display the printer preferences for each device. I suspect there is not a Microsoft way as this information is set within the properties of the driver.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dave

Thursday, June 28, 2018 3:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try the command below

More detailed information about command,please refer to it.

https://technet.microsoft.com/fr-fr/library/hh918352(v=wps.630).aspx

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, June 29, 2018 5:48 AM
  • Hi Dave,

The data you are looking for is the Printing Defaults.  This is the printer devmode.  This will be on printer / properties Advanced / Printing Defaults.

Preferences is the user devmode and when the users change this setting on the client system, the user devmode will over ride the printer devmode.

When the color setting is in the public printer devmode, use the set-printconfiguration PowerShell command to make this change.

set-printconfiguration PRINTERNAME -color 1

When the color setting is not in the public devmode, then you can attempt a trickier method of modifying the PrintTicket XML data.

Use get-printconfiguration to pull the Printing Defaults data.  If you see Color in the return then you can use the set command for all the printers on the machine providing Server 2012 and greater

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 6:44 AM
    Answerer