how can I create a form (aspx) for a workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I want to create a workflow and have created a list item. This item comes with an input form, do people use this form for the workflow or do people create a new aspx form ?

How would I create a new aspx form for the workflow ?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• Well I don't understand your question exactly. I don't know what exactly should I imagine while you saying 'an input form'. Does it mean standart list new/edit item form? However in fact you don't need any form to run workflows on your items.

Please specify your situation better (maybe some screenshots would help) and I'll try help you.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:09 AM
  • Hi Martin

I've been asked to create a workflow with multiple steps (several approver levels). The initiator fills in a form and depending on the fields entered a workflow commences.

So I created a list in Sharepoint and added appropriate fields.

I now need to add a workflow, so I'm trying to do this in SPD. In SPD I can see 3 pages (EditForm, newForm and DispForm), I wanted to modify the NewForm.aspx so I've now created a new form NewForm1.aspx, this is fine so far.

The reason why I created NewForm1 is because I want to customise the form, when the user selects a certain radio button I want to hide certain fields on that same form, I remember doing this with aspx forms but dont know how to do this with SPD. Any help appreciated in this area.

In terms of workflows what sort of workflow do i create in SPD. In the ribbon I see List Workflow, Reuseable workflow and Site Workflow or do I use the pre-existingh Approval workflow ?

Any guidance helpful, thanks

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:23 AM
  • Hi

your issue consist of 2 problems

First is to create and optimize your new "NewForm1.aspx"  There you can cusotmize as yos said, to hide or not some fileds based on user's inputs

Second 'problem' is to create a workflow

Beacause it will be a very customized wkf, welll, attach the wkf to your list, and create staring from 0

It's easier to think the wkf as an entire, instead customize some existing wkfs. Deppending of your needs, check to start the wkf only when a new item is added or also when an item is changed

Romeo Donca
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:37 AM
  • Romeo said it right.

1) To customize your NewForm1.aspx easily you'll need MS InfoPath (I hope you're not having SharePoint in its Foundation version). That's quite good and easy way how to customize your aspx forms. You can find nice video about editing workflows video over here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/video-customize-workflow-forms-using-infopath-2010-VA102191980.aspx

2) I agree that creating your own List Workflow from SPD is a best way how to start. How-to article could be found also on microsoft site: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/introduction-to-designing-and-customizing-workflows-HA101859249.aspx

I hope this point you to right direction.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:46 AM
  • Hi

If I use MS InfoPath will all users need this application also ? i am using Standard version of Sharepoint.

I creating my own 'List Workflow' in SPD I can see its associated to mylist within SPD but when I goto Sharepoint mylist I cant add it to the list. What have I missed  ?

thanks

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:53 AM
  • No, only you will need InfoPath. All users will be able browse your forms as usual in their web browser.

When you crate List Workflow you choose your list at the begining - so that workflow is automatically associated. So go to your list on SharePoint, open your list, create new list item and than select that item and either from ribbon above or from item context drop down menu choose 'workflow' option.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:22 AM
  • hi

Any other option in creating dynamic forms, we dont have infopath ? but do have visual studio 2010 ?

About the workflow, though I have Visual Studio 2010 I think i can accomplish multi level - approval workflows with SPD..

(I also need to create the same workflow in SP 2007)

Any views on this ?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Hi orange,

In SharePoint Designer, we need to use jQuery to hide the certain controls. Please refer to following link for details steps.
    http://blog.notionone.com/laurieatkinson/2011/03/04/use-jquery-to-hideshow-sharepoint-form-fields/

And if the workflow also need to be use in SharePoint 2007, you can create a reusable workflow first, then import the reusable workflow to Visual Studio. You could refer to this link for the details.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee231580.aspx
    (Since SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2007 is 2 different versions, workflow project created from SharePoint 2010 need to a good debugging when you deploy it to SharePoint 2007. So I would like suggest you create the workflow individually for SharePoint 2007 again.)

If you have any questions develop a VS workflow or any questions related to VS, please give a new thread to SharePoint 2010 - Programming forum (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010programming/threads). 

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, October 28, 2011 6:28 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 11:35 AM