none
Where can I find documentation on setting up HyperV VM Page File Exclusion in dpm 2012 sp1? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for information on how the new page file exclusion feature works and how to set it up.  Is there any documentation available on this yet?
    Monday, January 14, 2013 6:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Optimizing Hyper-V protection
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj721498.aspx

Exclude page file churns

To improve the performance of your Hyper-V backups, choose the option not to back up the entire churn in your pagefile. This gives you the benefit of reduced storage requirement and improvement in backup performance. Excluding pagefiles, DPM does not affect replica creation and consistency check. The only change is that when the pagefile is excluded, DPM does not perform incremental backups on the pagefile. To exclude pagefiles, perform the following procedure:
    1. Move the pagefile for a virtual machine to a different VHD.
    2. Exclude pagefiles by using the Set-DPMGlobalProperty cmdlet. For more information about how to use this cmdlet, see Set-DPMGlobalProperty.

Set-DPMGlobalProperty
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh881752.aspx

-HyperVPagefileExclusions<String>
    Names of pagefile VHDs that should be excluded from backup jobs for HyperV data source. Supports use of wildcards. Use commas to separate multiple VHD names.
    Aliases none
    Required? true
    Position? named
    Default Value none
    Accept Pipeline Input? false
    Accept Wildcard Characters? false

To exclude some page file VHDs
    In this example, all VHDs protected on TestingServer that have names that end with _pagefile.vhd are marked for exclusion.

Copy
    PS C:\> SetDPMGlobalProperty -DPMServerName TestingServer -HyperVPagefileExclusions "*_pagefile.vhd"
    To add more page file VHD exclusions
    In this example, VHD files that have “mypgf” in their name are added to the existing exclusion list.

Copy
    PS C:\> SetDPMGlobalProperty -DPMServerName <DpmServer> -HyperVPagefileExclusions "*_pagefile.vhd,*mypgf*.vhd*"
    To remove all page file VHD exclusions
    In this example, all existing exclusions are removed.

Copy
    PS C:\> SetDPMGlobalProperty -DPMServerName <DpmServer> -HyperVPagefileExclusions ""

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, January 14, 2013 7:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Optimizing Hyper-V protection
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj721498.aspx

Exclude page file churns

To improve the performance of your Hyper-V backups, choose the option not to back up the entire churn in your pagefile. This gives you the benefit of reduced storage requirement and improvement in backup performance. Excluding pagefiles, DPM does not affect replica creation and consistency check. The only change is that when the pagefile is excluded, DPM does not perform incremental backups on the pagefile. To exclude pagefiles, perform the following procedure:
    1. Move the pagefile for a virtual machine to a different VHD.
    2. Exclude pagefiles by using the Set-DPMGlobalProperty cmdlet. For more information about how to use this cmdlet, see Set-DPMGlobalProperty.

Set-DPMGlobalProperty
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh881752.aspx

-HyperVPagefileExclusions<String>
    Names of pagefile VHDs that should be excluded from backup jobs for HyperV data source. Supports use of wildcards. Use commas to separate multiple VHD names.
    Aliases none
    Required? true
    Position? named
    Default Value none
    Accept Pipeline Input? false
    Accept Wildcard Characters? false

To exclude some page file VHDs
    In this example, all VHDs protected on TestingServer that have names that end with _pagefile.vhd are marked for exclusion.

Copy
    PS C:\> SetDPMGlobalProperty -DPMServerName TestingServer -HyperVPagefileExclusions "*_pagefile.vhd"
    To add more page file VHD exclusions
    In this example, VHD files that have “mypgf” in their name are added to the existing exclusion list.

Copy
    PS C:\> SetDPMGlobalProperty -DPMServerName <DpmServer> -HyperVPagefileExclusions "*_pagefile.vhd,*mypgf*.vhd*"
    To remove all page file VHD exclusions
    In this example, all existing exclusions are removed.

Copy
    PS C:\> SetDPMGlobalProperty -DPMServerName <DpmServer> -HyperVPagefileExclusions ""

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, January 14, 2013 7:21 PM
  • Thanks Mike.  I looked through technet under various other categories for protecting hyperv, but didn't see the optimizing section.  
    Monday, January 14, 2013 9:53 PM
  • Hi,

Everything you need to know was in my initial response, just run the Set-DPMGlobalProperty with the appropriate values as shown in the examples. 

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:25 AM
  • I was actually trying to say thanks, your first post was exactly what I was looking for.  I can see where my post might have been unclear. Sorry for the confusion.  
    Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:39 AM
  • Ah - Ok - Roger that - thanks.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:40 AM
  • So once I do this how do I know that it is working?

Is there any special name or config for the second VHD where I place the0 pagefile?

Thanks,

nick

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:56 PM
  • So once I do this how do I know that it is working?

Is there any special name or config for the second VHD where I place the0 pagefile?

Thanks,

nick

It looks like you can name the 2nd VHD whatever you want, but need to add that to the pagefile exclusions in dpm.  To keep things simple, it's probably best to name each VM's pagefile vhd something like "COMPUTERNAME-pagefile.VHD", where COMPUTERNAME is the VM name.  Then you can just add set the pagefile exclusion to "*-pagefile.vhd" on dpm and it will exclude pagefiles for all of them.

I haven't looked, but I assume it's possible to make the new vhd as a VHDX file, in which case you would want to be sure and add 2 exceptions, i.e.

SetDPMGlobalProperty -DPMServerName <DpmServer> -HyperVPagefileExclusions "*-pagefile.vhd,*-pagefile.vhdx"

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:05 PM
  • Sounds like a limitation in DPM not a feature.  The agent can read inside the VHD file why is there not a simple "exlude pagefile" option right in the DPM agent/job itself.  To back up 24 servers I need another 24 VHDs?

Curious is anyone does this in practice or if the more common thing is just let DPM chew up extra disk space with the pagefile.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 2:13 AM
  • "To back up 24 servers I need another 24 VHDs?"

This is going to be a real pain. Is there no better way?

Edit - I see now this is a small picture of a bigger feature: the ability to exclude unwanted data in general, not just the pagefile. Emphasis mine:

"Our research found that, even though VM is churning at 10% of VM size a day, only 30% to 40% of this churning is due to the actual application data that is important to customer at recovery time but rest of the churning due to pagefile changes and temp file changes that has no use for customer at recovery time."

• Edited by --Mike Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:47 PM Better understanding of feature
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:33 PM