none
Site Problems + Unable to start ConfigMgr Service Manager

Question

• Hi I originally thought there was a client issue. Looking further into this it appears my ConfigMgr Site Server is having problems... what problems well i am hoping you can help me out with this. I am very new to SCCM so any advice is welcome

First off i noticed that when i did an update collection membership on one of my collections it is just sitting there with the hour glass. Tried creating a new collection and was able to select a machine manually however upon completion of the collection it showed no computers in it.

I then checked all the SCCM services were running in services.exe which they were. Tried viewing the ConfigMgr Service Manager and am getting the following error

"Error Communication with the specified ConfigMgr Site Server."

I have tried running a repair on the site but it does not appear to have doen anything. I am still trauling through the log files for more information but if anyone has any ideas i would appreciate it.

Cheers,
    Leechy
    Friday, January 02, 2009 3:32 AM

Answers

•  Hopefully this may help someone in the long run.

Basically i put a call into PSS and the guy helping me was unreal great support really knew his SCCM. we tried a bunch of things around the hman and sitectrl.ct0 etc but nothing worked. Then by pure luck i noticed in the event viewer which i had not seen before a informational alert (which is stupid) saying that SCCM has expired as the trial software we had used was finished. Now most of you are probably thinking i should have known this but there were only a couple of alerts in the event viewer and i was looking for errors not information. The other thing is we got no popups like it says we should (could be because i don't log on as console it's all mstsc). The other thing is one of the other guys did the install and everything else in our environment is VLK :/

Anyways if you have site that shows nothing double check you aren't running eval media. To fix the problem i got hold of our VLK SP1 media and ran an upgrade on the site. After that everything looks to have worked out fine. Just doing some final checks now but it's looking good.

PS to whomever designed how it alerts you that the software has expired should review it. Even the PSS support guy who new heaps didn't even think to check if it was Eval. 

Cheers,
    Leechy 
    • Marked as answer by leechy Wednesday, January 07, 2009 7:03 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Jannes12345 Wednesday, January 07, 2009 11:58 AM
    Wednesday, January 07, 2009 7:02 AM

All replies

•  Could not read site control file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\sitectrl.box\sitectrl.ct0".  Sleeping for 60 seconds.  The operating system reported error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.~~  $$<SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER><Fri Jan 02 16:36:16.905 2009 AUS Eastern Daylight Time><thread=3692 (0xE6C)>
    Friday, January 02, 2009 5:40 AM
  • Well after reading the above error i checked out the folder and found someone had created a backup of the file ??? anyways stopped all the services and renamed the file to the appropriate name... rebooted the box everything came up fine initially... collections were updating properly i could open up the ConfigMgr Service Manager... About 10 minutes later the services stopped, manually started them back up and went into SCCM. Now everything is gone... eg i have nothing under site management, all my collections are gone everything is almsot back to as though the server had never been setup. Does anyone have any ideas on what might have happened and if it's recoverable or if i should just rebuild the whole thing
    Friday, January 02, 2009 6:49 AM
  • Hi,

Since the file is backup I assume the earlier file was edited before. Manual changes in this file can result in major issues, like the problems you describe. When you have good backup before the sitecontrol files where copied you can try a restore. Otherwise I advice to rebuild the server.

Regards, Jannes Alink
    Friday, January 02, 2009 1:05 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Jannes, I will have a chat to one of the guys i work with who may have modified the file. I will see if i can get an older copy. Otherwise i guess i will be learning a little more about SCCM :)
    Saturday, January 03, 2009 10:40 AM
  • ConfigMgr stores copies of the last 100 sitecontrol files in one of the inboxes (\inboxes\sitectrl.box\history), so you could compare an "archived" version with the actual one.
    Sunday, January 04, 2009 7:44 PM
  • I will compare the files now Torsten, thanks

I am now getting the following error. Is there a way to set the site mode ???

Error Message
    "Configuration Manager cannot determine the site mode for this site"

The only other topic i found was this which is not my preferred option.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrgeneral/thread/4d9d57c1-5351-4d45-8801-cf5002f38dcc/
    Sunday, January 04, 2009 10:56 PM
  • Hi,

You can configure the site mode at the properties of your site. The site mode (mixed or native) is already set since this is a required step in the installation process of your site.

I understand rebuiilding your site is not the preferred option, you can try a restore, but consider the rebuild since you already had some other serieus errors before.
    Regards, Jannes Alink
    Monday, January 05, 2009 8:35 AM
  •  Hopefully this may help someone in the long run.

Basically i put a call into PSS and the guy helping me was unreal great support really knew his SCCM. we tried a bunch of things around the hman and sitectrl.ct0 etc but nothing worked. Then by pure luck i noticed in the event viewer which i had not seen before a informational alert (which is stupid) saying that SCCM has expired as the trial software we had used was finished. Now most of you are probably thinking i should have known this but there were only a couple of alerts in the event viewer and i was looking for errors not information. The other thing is we got no popups like it says we should (could be because i don't log on as console it's all mstsc). The other thing is one of the other guys did the install and everything else in our environment is VLK :/

Anyways if you have site that shows nothing double check you aren't running eval media. To fix the problem i got hold of our VLK SP1 media and ran an upgrade on the site. After that everything looks to have worked out fine. Just doing some final checks now but it's looking good.

PS to whomever designed how it alerts you that the software has expired should review it. Even the PSS support guy who new heaps didn't even think to check if it was Eval. 

Cheers,
    Leechy 
    • Marked as answer by leechy Wednesday, January 07, 2009 7:03 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Jannes12345 Wednesday, January 07, 2009 11:58 AM
    Wednesday, January 07, 2009 7:02 AM