[SOLVED] - Disable Taskbar Thumbnail; Show List Instead [Revisited] RRS feed

Answers

• By default, Windows 7 shows thumbnails if 16 or less windows are open and you're using the Aero theme with desktop composition enabled. You can configure the maximum number of thumbnails from the registry value "NumThumbnails" you mentioned above, but the minimum is "1", so this won't disable taskbar thumbnails. Unfortunately, there isn't any registry setting in Windows 7 to disable taskbar thumbnails and always show a list.

Regarding the other proposed solutions:

• DisablePreviewWindow: This registry value disables Live Preview. That's not want you want. Live Preview is responsible for showing a window when you hover the mouse on a taskbar thumbnail. The other value that the article mentions, DisablePreviewDesktop, disables Aero Peek.
    • TaskbarNoThumbnail: This policy applies to Windows Vista only (and I think pre-release versions of Windows 7 too). Microsoft removed the policy in the final version of Windows 7. In Windows Vista there was a checkbox in the taskbar properties window to enable/disable taskbar thumbnails. This portion of the UI was also removed in Windows 7.
    • ExtendUIHoverTime: As you say, you lose the ability to see what's stacked in a taskbar group.

Maybe it's possible to come up with a solution to this problem by injecting an application to Explorer (like Taskbar Tweaker does).

Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    • Proposed as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, October 7, 2010 2:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:40 AM
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:28 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• By default, Windows 7 shows thumbnails if 16 or less windows are open and you're using the Aero theme with desktop composition enabled. You can configure the maximum number of thumbnails from the registry value "NumThumbnails" you mentioned above, but the minimum is "1", so this won't disable taskbar thumbnails. Unfortunately, there isn't any registry setting in Windows 7 to disable taskbar thumbnails and always show a list.

Regarding the other proposed solutions:

• DisablePreviewWindow: This registry value disables Live Preview. That's not want you want. Live Preview is responsible for showing a window when you hover the mouse on a taskbar thumbnail. The other value that the article mentions, DisablePreviewDesktop, disables Aero Peek.
    • TaskbarNoThumbnail: This policy applies to Windows Vista only (and I think pre-release versions of Windows 7 too). Microsoft removed the policy in the final version of Windows 7. In Windows Vista there was a checkbox in the taskbar properties window to enable/disable taskbar thumbnails. This portion of the UI was also removed in Windows 7.
    • ExtendUIHoverTime: As you say, you lose the ability to see what's stacked in a taskbar group.

Maybe it's possible to come up with a solution to this problem by injecting an application to Explorer (like Taskbar Tweaker does).

Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    • Proposed as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, October 7, 2010 2:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, October 12, 2010 1:40 AM
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:28 PM
    Answerer
  • The NumThumbnails value partly does the trick, and that may be 'as good as it gets' - I'm bascally seeking confirmation of this while at the same time checking to see if there's a better solution other than relying on the Basic theme.

Thanks for the response and detailed explanation of the other values!  That will prove helpful to myself and others I'm sure.

• Proposed as answer by Caloakma Monday, June 10, 2013 3:31 PM
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 7:16 PM
  • Very useful! I'm looking for the answer of this problem for a very long time! Thanks!
    Monday, June 10, 2013 3:32 PM