none
Identity Manager licencing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

As explained in https://identityunderground.wordpress.com/2015/04/01/fim2010-licensing-model-is-changing-as-of-1st-of-april-2015 licensing is on eper user "crossing" the FIM Service/Portal.

Considering that FIM(Service + Synchronization Service) is used to create/update an Active Directory from a database, what kind of cal should be used ? It is a single standard cal like anyone used for AD as it was a manual creation in AD ?

BR,

Emmanuel IT

Thursday, January 12, 2017 10:56 PM

Answers

• If you want to use FIM/MIM to sync the Database and AD, using the FIM/MIM Portal where the users will be present in the FIMService/Portal, you will need 10 000 FIM/MIM CALs.

If you use only the Sync Engine, i.e. don't use the FIM/MIM Portal and no users are present there, you won't need the FIM/MIM CALs.

I know, it's confusing ;)

Did my post help? Please use "Vote As Helpful", "Mark as answer" or "Propose as answer". Thank you!

Monday, January 16, 2017 7:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In addition to this question : if users are created in AD but never authenticate against it, are they considered as "external users" ? In this case, can we use an external connector licence ?

BR,

Emmanuel IT

Thursday, January 12, 2017 11:17 PM
  • Look at the user objects in the Portal --- you have to get a CAL for each user object you see in there (other than the two default objects, the admin and sync objects).  If you are only using FIM/MIM Sync only then a CAL is not required.

Best,

Jeff Ingalls

• Proposed as answer by Leo Erlandsson Monday, January 16, 2017 7:23 AM
    Friday, January 13, 2017 3:26 AM
  • Hi,

Many thanks for your answer.

What kind of CAL should it be ? Considering FIM/MIM is used for populating an Active Directory, we may already have bought CALs for AD use (1 per user). May this CAL cover the FIM/MIM licence ?

In others words : we have to create an AD from our RH database (ex : 10 000 users). We have to buy 10 000 CALs for Windows/AD use. If we want to use FIM/MIM to sync databse and AD, is it necessary to buy 10 000 CALs more (i would be such surprised...)

BR,

Emmanuel IT

Saturday, January 14, 2017 10:41 AM
  • If you want to use FIM/MIM to sync the Database and AD, using the FIM/MIM Portal where the users will be present in the FIMService/Portal, you will need 10 000 FIM/MIM CALs.

If you use only the Sync Engine, i.e. don't use the FIM/MIM Portal and no users are present there, you won't need the FIM/MIM CALs.

I know, it's confusing ;)

Did my post help? Please use "Vote As Helpful", "Mark as answer" or "Propose as answer". Thank you!

Monday, January 16, 2017 7:27 AM
  • Leo is right on.  Use sync only and you pay nothing additional.  If you want to go semi-codeless and use the Portal sync rules and/or manage within the FIM/MIM Portal (have account objects in the Portal) there is a CAL cost to pay.

Best,

Jeff Ingalls

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:06 AM