Win XP VLA & Technet Download RRS feed

• Question

• I work for a public school district.  My predecessor purchased a VLA for Win XP Pro and created an installation disc with an answer file and slipstreamed SP2.  The original installation medium is lost.  To make matters worse, the Administrator account has an unknown password.

I decided to create a fresh install disc, so I downloaded XP Pro w/ SP3 using my TechNet subscription, but it will not accept my valid XP Pro VLA key. Can anyone tell me why this is?  Do ISO's downloaded from TechNet work only with their corresponding TechNet keys?  If so, how can I obtain a copy of Win XP Pro that will work with my VLA key in order to create a fresh install disc w/ answer file? 

Thanks for your time.

Sunday, August 7, 2011 3:00 PM

Answers

• I work for a public school district.  My predecessor purchased a VLA for Win XP Pro and created an installation disc with an answer file and slipstreamed SP2.  The original installation medium is lost.  To make matters worse, the Administrator account has an unknown password.

I decided to create a fresh install disc, so I downloaded XP Pro w/ SP3 using my TechNet subscription, but it will not accept my valid XP Pro VLA key. Can anyone tell me why this is?  Do ISO's downloaded from TechNet work only with their corresponding TechNet keys?  If so, how can I obtain a copy of Win XP Pro that will work with my VLA key in order to create a fresh install disc w/ answer file? 

Thanks for your time.

The .ISO from Technet is a Retail image and requires a Retail Activation key.

There is a Volume Licsense Technet membership avaialble but is quite expensive compared to the standard membership.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Tim_at_MVCS Sunday, August 7, 2011 5:14 PM
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 5:07 PM
  • You will need to log into licensing.microsoft.com and download a copy of XP SP3 from there and then customize it.  Each type of license key is specific to its media.
    Rich Prescott
    Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | MCITP, MCTS, MCP
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 4:23 PM

All replies

• You will need to log into licensing.microsoft.com and download a copy of XP SP3 from there and then customize it.  Each type of license key is specific to its media.
    Rich Prescott
    Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | MCITP, MCTS, MCP
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 4:23 PM

Thanks for your time.

The .ISO from Technet is a Retail image and requires a Retail Activation key.

There is a Volume Licsense Technet membership avaialble but is quite expensive compared to the standard membership.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Tim_at_MVCS Sunday, August 7, 2011 5:14 PM
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Thanks very much.  -Tim
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 5:12 PM
  • Thanks very much. -Tim
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 5:13 PM