Control Panel sidebar link incorrect RRS feed

• Question

• I just received a copy of Windows 7 Professional today through my school's MSDNAA. As far as I understand, this is the same version of the OS that will be released to the general public in October. I must say, I am very impressed and excited at what I have experienced so far! However, throughout my exploration I have encountered one minor issue that I wanted to post about. I have installed the few current Windows Updates already available and this issue still exists. My hope is that by posting, there will be a chance that the issue is solved in an update so that the public might not even notice this little blip (assuming they update right out of the box).

An example to recreate and explain the issue:

If you go to Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts

and then click the Back arrow button near the top of the window, it takes you back to User Accounts and Family Safety. The correct sidebar links are shown and everything looks fine. The problem is when you click on the links (more specifically, the spots where links were in the previous window sidebar), they still take you to the dialogs and options linked to from the User Accounts sidebar.

To workaround: A user can simply click the User Accounts and Family Safety link up in the address bar, the window refreshes and now the sidebar is working correctly.

This same problem seems to occur with any of the Control Panel sections that have links in the sidebar.

If there already is a fix to this, I would be very happy to be clued in. Otherwise, I hope this write-up is lending a hand in some small way.

Sunday, September 27, 2009 2:54 AM

Answers

• Nano Warp,

I have Windows 7 Professional x64 (version 6.1 build 7600)

The only programs I have installed are the Windows Updates and Windows Live programs that come down from Microsoft Update optionally.

I ran relevant troubleshooters, but did not come up with anything noteworthy. It was unhappy with my graphics driver for a moment, until it determined that I had the most up-to-date one installed.

I did burn the ISO to a DVD and verified it afterward.

My drivers seem to be alright and everything in Device Manager looks good.
    To give you more background:
    - I am using the Windows 7 Basic theme
    - I am running this install of Win7 as a virtual machine. I wanted to get a feel for things before I decide to install it onto one of my machines as the main OS.
    - VMware tools are installed properly, which put the correct drivers in place. I know that VMware has not yet claimed support of Win7, but they did say that everything appears to be working correctly.

Perhaps you are correct on the thought about drivers.

In any matter, I recorded my screen so that you could see exactly what is occurring. Hopefully one of these links will work for you (QuickTime is required):
    Streaming Video (~11.8MB)
    Download Video (~4.8MB)

Thanks for your reply,
    -n2hobbes

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:10 AM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 4:02 AM
  • Hi all,

Thank you for discussing it. I did test and confirm the issue. And I haven't found it on our database. I will report it to our internal team.

Again, thank you very much. :D
    Monday, September 28, 2009 7:19 AM

All replies

• I have Win 7 RC installed. I am not able to recreate this behaviour. You have the RTM version. 

Have you installed any other applications? Installed a Win 7 compatible anti-virus program or security suite. Vista versions will cause problems.

Try running the Trobleshooter from the Action Center and see if it discovers any problems.

Did you burn the .iso for install DVD? Perhaps that was corrupted? Slow speed, verify after burn.

Are all of your drivers ok?
    ASUS P4PE-P4 Extreme 3.4gHz-2gb G.Skill PC3200-XPSP3:55gb-Win7RC:17gb-DATA:500gb-ASUS N6800GT
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 11:38 AM
  • I have Windows 7 Professional x64 installed and "User Accounts and Family Safety" does not exist in Control Panel - only "User Accounts", so this may be version specific.

OP, if you type WINVER at the Run line what version does it say you are using? Mine says Version 6.1 Build 7600.

I also got my copy of the OS from MSDNAA...
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 7:05 PM
  • Nano Warp,

I have Windows 7 Professional x64 (version 6.1 build 7600)

The only programs I have installed are the Windows Updates and Windows Live programs that come down from Microsoft Update optionally.

I ran relevant troubleshooters, but did not come up with anything noteworthy. It was unhappy with my graphics driver for a moment, until it determined that I had the most up-to-date one installed.

I did burn the ISO to a DVD and verified it afterward.

My drivers seem to be alright and everything in Device Manager looks good.
    To give you more background:
    - I am using the Windows 7 Basic theme
    - I am running this install of Win7 as a virtual machine. I wanted to get a feel for things before I decide to install it onto one of my machines as the main OS.
    - VMware tools are installed properly, which put the correct drivers in place. I know that VMware has not yet claimed support of Win7, but they did say that everything appears to be working correctly.

Perhaps you are correct on the thought about drivers.

In any matter, I recorded my screen so that you could see exactly what is occurring. Hopefully one of these links will work for you (QuickTime is required):
    Streaming Video (~11.8MB)
    Download Video (~4.8MB)

Thanks for your reply,
    -n2hobbes

Monday, September 28, 2009 4:02 AM
  • Mac Fhearghuis,

It does appear that I have the same version as you.

Perhaps we have our Control Panels set to different "View by" options? For instance, I have mine set to "View by Category" and it has "User Accounts and Family Safety". If I change to "View by Large Icons" or "View by Small Icons", I no longer have "User Accounts and Family Safety" listed because it is a category.

The other possibility could be that because I installed Windows Live Parental Controls, my category name differs? I'm not totally sure on this because I can't recall if this was still the category name before I installed the Windows Live programs or if it was simply User Accounts.

Thanks for your reply,
    -n2hobbes
    Monday, September 28, 2009 4:24 AM
  • You are right, I am able to duplicate this when I change to the category view of the Control Panel. Definitely seems to be a UI glitch.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 4:59 AM
  • Hi all,

Thank you for discussing it. I did test and confirm the issue. And I haven't found it on our database. I will report it to our internal team.

Again, thank you very much. :D
    Monday, September 28, 2009 7:19 AM
  • Mac Fhearghuis,

Thanks for confirming.  :)

-n2hobbes
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 1:17 AM
  • Robinson Zhang,

Thanks for checking into the discussion. I'm glad that we were able to help out.  :)

-n2hobbes
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 1:32 AM