none
Non-Consumable Physical Resources RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I'm looking for a way to assign non-consumable physical resources to a project task. These are assets that would remain constant from day to day on the project.

For example, I have 100,000 of X resource. These resources aren't consumed, but if I'm using 50,000 of them on a task, and 40,000 on another task, that leaves only 10,000 remaining until I complete one of those two tasks. I'd like to be able to track how many of that resource I have available on a given day. Unfortunately, Microsoft Project only seems to account for consumable resources and human resources.

Can anyone give me some guidance on how to account for this sort of thing in Microsoft Project, or if there is another sort of Project Management software that would do the trick?

Friday, July 13, 2012 9:37 PM

Answers

• Reev308,

When tracking non-human, non-consumable resources, such as equipment, you can classify these as "work" resources.  For example, if I have two, 50-ton cranes available, I set them up as a work resource at 200% max units, and assign them to tasks where they are needed.  Project will tell me when I have set up tasks where I have the need for three cranes, showing them as an overallocated resource.  You can do the same for server equipment, desks, chairs, etc.  The down-side is that when you assign work resources to tasks, this affects the work calculation which may not be what you want.

A bit more information about what the resources actualy are might help, but this is an abstract answer.

Regards,

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Friday, July 13, 2012 10:02 PM

All replies

• Reev308,

When tracking non-human, non-consumable resources, such as equipment, you can classify these as "work" resources.  For example, if I have two, 50-ton cranes available, I set them up as a work resource at 200% max units, and assign them to tasks where they are needed.  Project will tell me when I have set up tasks where I have the need for three cranes, showing them as an overallocated resource.  You can do the same for server equipment, desks, chairs, etc.  The down-side is that when you assign work resources to tasks, this affects the work calculation which may not be what you want.

A bit more information about what the resources actualy are might help, but this is an abstract answer.

Regards,

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Friday, July 13, 2012 10:02 PM
  • Hi,

Just to mention I am a bit surprised at the statement that Project only accounts for "human" resources. The word Human does not appear in any field nor in any help. The resources you talk about are Work resources as Richie states. You will be able to see exactly how many are available on any given day in the Resource Usage view, show the remaining availability field.

Greetings,

Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:00 AM
  • Reev308,

Regards,

Thanks Gregg, I'll try seeing if that will work for me. The resources in particular I'm discussing are cables/geophones for use on a seismic exploration crew. We might have a pool of 400,000 geophones available, for example, and 30,000 are being used on one crew, 15,000 on another, etc. If I set a resource as 1 geophone, then set the max to 40,000,000%, that ought to cover it, right?
    Monday, July 16, 2012 1:17 PM
  • Reev308,

You are welcome.  You are correct in the assumption of 40,000,000% in the max units for 400,000 geophone sets.

Regards,

Monday, July 16, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Reev308,

You are welcome.  You are correct in the assumption of 40,000,000% in the max units for 400,000 geophone sets.

Regards,

Thanks, I think I've got it figured out. I can even set the display to integer instead of % so that I don't have to constantly be adding 2 zeros to every number of resources. I appreciate the insight!

Monday, July 16, 2012 7:01 PM