NO AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE INSTALLED....OR RED "X" IN BOTTOM RIGHT HAND CORNER ON VOLUME CONTROL RRS feed

• Question

• After working over 8 hours, this is what fixed the problem for me. For years, I have told people to always look for the simple solution, not the complicated one. Well, I should have used my own "wisdom."

My Realtek HD audio arrived with three speaker wires and an adapter that reduced the three to one. Over time, software was updated. Finally, I discovered that I needed to plug the speaker wires into the computer separately--three separate line ins. Do what you do to see "speakers" on screen. Plug wires based on color code. Keep moving them around if necessary to see "working" under "speakers." The red "x" should no longer appear. Open iTunes or some other sound device. If you don't hear sound, go back and play with the line in wires until you do. 

All software says that everything is working because it is. But, make it so with the hardware. It may not fix it for you but it did for me. 

Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your sharing. I believe this will help others when they encounter the same issue. Your time and effort is appreciated.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, December 10, 2010 12:09 PM