Struggling with deploying Windows 10 via MDT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, this is going to be a long post (sorry)

Basically I'm getting the infamous blank white "Wizard.hta" box midway through the process, I'll try and mention everything I've done so far:

I've recently been getting more and more involved in our MDT server as the chap who used to manage it has moved on and slowly picking things up as I go along, currently we have a working Windows 7 deployment share which has no issues but with recent Intel CPU's stopping support, like many other people, we are looking at moving onto Windows 10. This is where my issues started!

First off I have 2 different deployment shares on the same server, so I do wonder if that could be why I am having issues, one is the working Windows 7 and the other is my sort of working Windows 10, once the deployment share had been created (different chap did that so I'm assuming its correct) I loaded the most recent Windows 10 disc in and did a task sequence to deploy it, which worked fine on my test PC (OptiPlex 7020) I then made the changes we needed and installed certain software etc, had to sysprep and capture via WinPE on a USB hard drive as I couldn't get MDT sysprep and capture to work. Eventually I ended up with my custom Windows 10 WIM file, loaded that into MDT and created another task sequence and then imaged a different PC (OptiPlex 7010) which worked perfectly. I then imaged the original test PC with it and that also worked perfectly. Then I did another OptiPlex 7010 and that failed with the white wizard box just before it starts to the mandatory applications.

I then tried an OptiPlex 5050 (failed) and OptiPlex 780 (failed) Latitude 6430 (Succeeded) and then tried my original test machine (7020) which then failed. It seems really inconsistent in whether it works or not, mostly fails at the moment. Been searching online for answers and there was mention of the NIC drivers so I tried the latest ones from Intel themselves and the specific ones for the OptiPlex 5050 with no luck. I should also mention that this is happening with the original WIM file from the disc as well.

Checking my rules in MDT everything looks ok, I did enable logs and got an error report from the smsts log, it's saying it failed at the post-apply cleanup stage but I don't know why, can anyone see what I am doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is giving me the biggest headache!

Thank you

(I will post the log once I get my account verified)

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 2:17 PM

Answers

• Got around it in the end, I scrapped the whole deployment share and started again, works perfectly now :)

The one i was using was created by someone else so maybe he didn't do something quite right, still don't know exactly what the problem was but it's working now with my my original disc image and sysprep image.

Friday, December 1, 2017 8:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    the custom Wim you created should be created on a virtual machine, Hyper-V or VMWare. This so you don't get the wrong drivers installed on the system. I recommend that you check the following blogs for inspiration. deploymentbunny.com, deploymentresearch.com

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 3:57 PM
  • I did start with a VM but could not get sysprep and capture to work on MDT, there was only so much I could change due to it also being the live server for our Windows 7 deployment, so I went to using a physical device and booting from a USB HDD to capture via WinPE.

However, that said, the issue I am getting is also coming up with the basic straight from dvd WIM with no customisations at all so at this point I dont think it is my image that is causing the problem, still unable to post a pic

First red error line is:

Incorrect function. (Error: 00000001; Source: Windows)]LOG]!><time="09:32:43.730+00" date="11-28-2017" component="TSManager" context="" type="3" thread="7156" file="instruction.cxx:921">

which is right after it says:

<![LOG[Failed to run the action: Post-Apply Cleanup.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 4:52 PM
  • There is simply not enough information here to hazard a guess. Could you pull your BDD.log file for analysis? In addition, most of the issues with Sysprep in Windows 10 are related to Windows apps being updated in the background. This should set you up: https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/615/Fixing-why-Sysprep-fails-in-Windows-10-due-to-Windows-Store-updates

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 8:58 PM
  • Hi Anton, sorry i had fully intended to post the log when I posted but didnt realise i couldnt post a pic without being verfied first, hence the lack of information.

BDD log says it failed and to check smsts log which does have errors in them but i dont know what they mean, I still can't post a pic either :( i posted in the "verify my account" forum yesterday but still waiting, is there any other way to speed that process up?

BDD log failed error is:

Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259  0x80004005    LiteTouch    28/11/2017 09:32:43    0 (0x0000)

Which as i have found, that error code can mean a number of things.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:50 AM
  • most of the issues with Sysprep in Windows 10 are related to Windows apps being updated in the background.

Hmm i will check that out! thanks Anton
    Wednesday, November 29, 2017 8:51 AM
  • Hi Anton, sorry i had fully intended to post the log when I posted but didnt realise i couldnt post a pic without being verfied first, hence the lack of information.

BDD log says it failed and to check smsts log which does have errors in them but i dont know what they mean, I still can't post a pic either :( i posted in the "verify my account" forum yesterday but still waiting, is there any other way to speed that process up?

BDD log failed error is:

Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259  0x80004005    LiteTouch    28/11/2017 09:32:43    0 (0x0000)

Which as i have found, that error code can mean a number of things.

The top line in the summary field simply tells you that "something went wrong" (8004005 is a generic error code), so we would need to dig deeper. Can you post a picture of your final summary / BDD.log? You could always use a public hosting site like OneDrive as a workaround. 

However, since you are trying to capture an image from a system connected to the internet, I strongly supsect that your issues are related to the Windows Store.

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 9:01 AM
  • I remembered about an old photobucket account i had so got it uploaded to that:

h**p://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj57/Crashezz/MDT.jpg

Just to clarify, i am not capturing at this point all i am trying to do is deploy from a WIM file that MDT created straight from the DVD which i downloaded and it was the version released just before the fall creators update. So no sysprep, capturing or customisation has been done at this point.

I tried the blocking windows app updates which didnt work either but i have been using SLShare and SLShareDynamicLogging, if i enable dynamic logging it goes through no problems, if i disable that then its about a 90% failure rate.

This is the only thing so far i have found that makes a difference to fail/pass but i can't understand why enabling SLShareDynamicLogging would make it work.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 11:17 AM
  • Could you upload your BDD.log as well? The resolution on the image is so low, it is unreadable, plus I would need to go through the last portion of the log to determine what is going wrong...

Cheers,
    Anton

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 11:21 AM
  • You are right, that image is very hard to read, so i have uploaded it to a different site:

BDD Log: h**ps://ibb.co/icTn5G

SMSTS Log: h**ps://ibb.co/dByRzb

I got a colleague to bring it up on his PC and its much more readable :)

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 2:03 PM
  • Even so, there is not enough information to figure out what is going on as I have never seen any issues even remotely similar to what you are running into. Your OSD appears to be failing when running cscript.exe "%SCRIPTROOT%\LTIApply.wsf" /post but without access to your log files, I am afraid I might not be of much help.

Cheers,
    Anton

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 3:09 PM
  • Damn, thanks for taking the time Anton.

i'll keep playing around with it, see if i can get it going :)

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 4:43 PM
  • Got around it in the end, I scrapped the whole deployment share and started again, works perfectly now :)

The one i was using was created by someone else so maybe he didn't do something quite right, still don't know exactly what the problem was but it's working now with my my original disc image and sysprep image.

Friday, December 1, 2017 8:47 AM