gateways free updates from vista to windows 7 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• a few weeks ago I received my windows 7 update cd's in the mail, the install went great, but today I noticed that my pc was telling me that I had to reactivate winows 7, it said my password for windows install was invalid, upon further investigation, I noticed when I reboot the 1st boot screen is not gateway any longer, it is now an acer aspire pc, what could have happened to cause this change and can I still reactivate my windows 7.

I'm hoping I don't have to bring it in to future shop.

Sincerely
    Ernie 
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:17 AM

Answers

• Hey Ernie,

I also received a gateway update which I installed yesterday.  You know that Gateway was purchased by Acer,don't you?  Is it possible that your Gateway is the same basic PC as an Acer Aspire?  I'm hoping that I don't have the same problem!  But I don't see any Acer Aspire boot screen either.

But contact support first, if that doesn't work you may need to do an inplace upgrade of W7.

Good Luck!
    Micrometeor
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Ernie

It sounds like Future Shop may have sent you a disk from the wrong manufacturer.

You will need to contact them to get this fixed.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, December 25, 2009 5:44 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Friday, December 25, 2009 11:25 AM
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:28 AM
  • Hey Ernie,

I also received a gateway update which I installed yesterday.  You know that Gateway was purchased by Acer,don't you?  Is it possible that your Gateway is the same basic PC as an Acer Aspire?  I'm hoping that I don't have the same problem!  But I don't see any Acer Aspire boot screen either.

But contact support first, if that doesn't work you may need to do an inplace upgrade of W7.

Good Luck!
    Micrometeor
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Thanks guys

I did the phone activation thing and it went very well, windows 7 if now fully activated once again, thanks for the quick response...: )

You all have a very merry Christmas and a happy new year... : ) 

We Wish You a Merry♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ Christmas♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪We Wish You a Merry ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪Christmas ♥ ♥ ♥We Wish You A Merry ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪Christmas ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪...And A Happy New Year!♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪.

Ta Ta for now

Thanks again
    Ernie
    Friday, December 25, 2009 6:30 AM
  • Hi Micrometeor

It's weird cause for 6 months now the dos start up screen was gateway, then poof it changed to acer, anyways I got windows fully activated once again using phone activation with no trouble at all.

Good luck and have a very merry Christmas and a happy new year

Thanks
    Ernie
    Friday, December 25, 2009 6:36 AM