Command Notification Asynchronous Processing issue RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone advise on how SCOM processes Command Line Notifications? I'm trying to determine why a script I've created is running asynchronously instead of SCOM kicking off many of them at once. I have always read/heard that SCOM will kick off as many threads (exe's, cmd's, ps1's) as there are Alerts that meet the subscription criteria and because of this to be very careful with how you use the Cmd Channel.  This is NOT what I'm seeing in various tests i've performed.  I've tested this with launching cmd.exe with /C Sleep 5 and in process explorer I only see 1 cmd.exe at a time and the next one appears once the 5 secs has elapsed.  Does anyone know how to get this to run asynchronously?

Thank you

Marc Schmieder
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:27 PM

Answers

• For each alert that is raised and meets the criteria of the Command Channel subscription, the script or executable will run once on a FIFO basis.  Execution needs to complete before the next alert is processed.  One way to get around this problem is to NOT input Alert Id as part of your processing criteria (e.g., process more than one alert during each execution of the command).
    HTH, Jonathan Almquist - MSFT
    Friday, December 31, 2010 5:31 PM

All replies

• Hi. No activity for 30 days. Will mark as answer. Feel free to re-open. Thanks
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft PFE | blog at http://www.contoso.se
    Friday, December 31, 2010 9:49 AM
  • For each alert that is raised and meets the criteria of the Command Channel subscription, the script or executable will run once on a FIFO basis.  Execution needs to complete before the next alert is processed.  One way to get around this problem is to NOT input Alert Id as part of your processing criteria (e.g., process more than one alert during each execution of the command).
    HTH, Jonathan Almquist - MSFT
    Friday, December 31, 2010 5:31 PM