Reload Merge Source File, Shortcut? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all

When I mail merge I often need to go back to my data source (my excel sheet) and edit a copple of things. Is there anyway to reload/update the data source with a shortcut or something? At the moment I need to go to select recipients -> use existing list -> select the sheet I want to merge from. It would be a nice feature if I just could click a refresh-button or something similar to reload the data source.

Is there such a feature in Word?

Thursday, December 18, 2014 9:19 PM

Answers

• Okay, ive found out, that if I press forward and backwards in the letters the results are updated. But they arent updated only by pressing the preview result button. But this is way better than the whole proces discripted above.

Like you, I find the steps to attach a known data set to be tedious. One thing you can do is record a macro attaching the data source and save that macro in the template for your merge document. Then either put that macro on a QAT icon, also saved in the template, and/or attach a keyboard shortcut to the macro.

The procedure of already having the data open in Excel and making your changes as needed is preferable for your purposes of making changes as needed. The macro can be very useful, though.

I use such a macro, saved in an Add-In with the QAT modification, because I use multiple main merge templates with the data set. Creation of a new main merge document from one of these templates activates an AutoNew macro that calls this procedure and attaches the data. It then calls up the dialog to select a recipient.

There is a corresponding macro to disconnect the data set.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Saturday, December 20, 2014 1:26 PM

All replies

• When you're doing a mailmerge, you can edit the data directly from Word, but those changes won't be reflected in the saved copy of the workbook. Similarly, if you open a workbook to edit the data while the mailmerge main document is open, you'll only be able to edit a read-only copy - which is of no use for the mailmerge. However, if your workbook is already open when you start the mailmerge, edits to the data will be reflected in the mailmerge - even without the updates being saved.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, December 19, 2014 2:40 AM
  • So do I understand you right in, that there is no way just to press a button and that then reloads the data source? I then have to continue with the manual reloading through the menu's mentioned above?
    Friday, December 19, 2014 5:44 PM
  • As I said, if you open the Excel workbook before opening the mailmerge main document, changes to the source are available without reloading anything. Any other approach either doesn't update the data source or doesn't make updates there available to Word without closing & re-opening the mailmerge main document.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, December 19, 2014 8:53 PM
  • Yes but you still have to go into: select recipients -> use existing list -> select the sheet I want to merge from to see the the results of the changes.

At least I can't get it working unless I "reload" the data source using the above mentioned methode and yes, the excel sheet has to be open when I start the mail merge document.

Saturday, December 20, 2014 9:55 AM
  • All you need do is to Preview the results and you'll see the changes immediately - at least that's what works for me.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, December 20, 2014 10:29 AM
  • That is very weird, because that doesnt work for me. If I open the excel sheet and then afterwards open the merge mail document and then make changes to the excel sheet and save that and press preview result it doesnt change anything. How can that be?
    Saturday, December 20, 2014 10:44 AM
  • Okay, ive found out, that if I press forward and backwards in the letters the results are updated. But they arent updated only by pressing the preview result button. But this is way better than the whole proces discripted above.
    Saturday, December 20, 2014 10:46 AM
  • The previews themselves are static. Double-clicking the Preview button, to toggle it off/on should have the same effect as going back & forth. Regardless, the data are updated without doing a preview.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, December 20, 2014 11:49 AM

Like you, I find the steps to attach a known data set to be tedious. One thing you can do is record a macro attaching the data source and save that macro in the template for your merge document. Then either put that macro on a QAT icon, also saved in the template, and/or attach a keyboard shortcut to the macro.

The procedure of already having the data open in Excel and making your changes as needed is preferable for your purposes of making changes as needed. The macro can be very useful, though.

I use such a macro, saved in an Add-In with the QAT modification, because I use multiple main merge templates with the data set. Creation of a new main merge document from one of these templates activates an AutoNew macro that calls this procedure and attaches the data. It then calls up the dialog to select a recipient.

There is a corresponding macro to disconnect the data set.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Saturday, December 20, 2014 1:26 PM