none
Having sub-parts of a task RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm creating a task. Let's say its 100 man days effort. I want to divide this task to sub-tasks, of 20, 50, 30 man days, also want to have dependency of one on other. How to do this?

I tried to use the Indent, but then the parent task shows the estimate of the largest piece i.e. 50 man days, but I want it to sum all the Indented tasks and show 100 man days.

I can create multiple tasks and put dependency and get it working ... for a work around. But it would not look good instead of 10 tasks... I'll have a list of 30 tasks.... 10 are the major tasks... I want to show the sub tasks under each of these major ones.

Regards, MS-Forum

Friday, September 28, 2012 10:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Why wouldn't 30 tasks look good?

Do range the subtasks under each main task and indent. Make it clear in your mind what you want to show as duration, and what as work - two differnt things!

Insert the column Work. For each subtask, enter duration and work. You will now see that Work does add up (the mandays). To make the durations "add up" the tasks should follow one another, so you have to link them (create the dependencies). To tell you how exactly you can do that, you should tell us which version of Project you are running. One way that is valid for all versions is to write the ID of the successor task in the Predecessors column.

Then prepare your next questions... ther will be many many more :-)

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by Kishan729 Friday, September 28, 2012 1:54 PM
    Friday, September 28, 2012 10:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Why wouldn't 30 tasks look good?

Do range the subtasks under each main task and indent. Make it clear in your mind what you want to show as duration, and what as work - two differnt things!

Insert the column Work. For each subtask, enter duration and work. You will now see that Work does add up (the mandays). To make the durations "add up" the tasks should follow one another, so you have to link them (create the dependencies). To tell you how exactly you can do that, you should tell us which version of Project you are running. One way that is valid for all versions is to write the ID of the successor task in the Predecessors column.

Then prepare your next questions... ther will be many many more :-)

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by Kishan729 Friday, September 28, 2012 1:54 PM
    Friday, September 28, 2012 10:48 AM
  • Hi Jan,

I've tried as you shown. And it does work. Now I get (after adding the "Work" column, that Work is what I want to be summed up..... that's the man days which remains constant... Duration comes out to be the number of days in where some x number of resources work to complete those many man days work.

Thanks for the clarification.

Regards, MS-Forum

Friday, September 28, 2012 1:54 PM