SLES 12 Management Pack RRS feed

• Question

• Trying SCOM R2. We have 2 Linux servers, SLES 12 and Novell OES 11 (built on SLES11). The SLES 12 server says platform not supported when discovering the SLES 12 server. I have installed http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29696 the Unix/Linux management pack but still says platform unsupported. Any ideas how i manage the SLES 12 server with SCOM R2?
    Monday, November 23, 2015 1:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I am also using the 7.5.1045.0 version and i don't have any problems with SLES 12.

About the agent - you can find it under "...\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Operations Manager\Server\AgentManagement\UnixAgents\DownloadedKits". In there you have a file, named "scx-1.5.1-168.sles.12.x64.rpm". this is your agent. A few other things to consider:

When you are installing the agent manually you'll have to get the certificate, generated after the installation, sign it using the "scxcertconfig.exe" tool on your management server and then import it back on the SLES system. The procedure is well exaplained in the following posts:

Manual SCOM agent certificate signing

and

Deploy SCOM Agent to Linux Manually

This one is also good:

Quick Post – Check Linux Certificate Issued by SCOM

Don't forget to make sure your xplat certificates are OK:

"Configure the Xplat certificates (export/import) for each management server in the pool" from Deploying Unix/Linux Agents using OpsMgr 2012

Hope this helps. Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by Stoyan ChalakovMVP Monday, November 23, 2015 10:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by forgiven Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:38 PM
    Monday, November 23, 2015 10:13 AM
  • Please download System Center 2012 Management Pack for UNIX and Linux Operating Systems (2015/08)  https://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=29696 and install this managment pack and import the required SLES12 MP which contains Linux agent. After a few minutes, the Linux agent will appear in the folder \Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Operations Manager\Server\AgentManagement\UnixAgents\DownloadedKits
    Roger

• Edited by System Center guy Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by forgiven Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:39 PM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 5:32 AM

All replies

• Try to manually install SCOM agent on SLES rather than using dicvoery method.

Roger

Monday, November 23, 2015 3:22 AM
  • Hi Roger, i have searched the C drive for *.rpm and *.sh and can not find the agent to manually install on linux. Can you point me to where the agent is located on a default SCOM install?
    Monday, November 23, 2015 3:50 AM
  • Hi,

I am also using the 7.5.1045.0 version and i don't have any problems with SLES 12.

About the agent - you can find it under "...\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Operations Manager\Server\AgentManagement\UnixAgents\DownloadedKits". In there you have a file, named "scx-1.5.1-168.sles.12.x64.rpm". this is your agent. A few other things to consider:

When you are installing the agent manually you'll have to get the certificate, generated after the installation, sign it using the "scxcertconfig.exe" tool on your management server and then import it back on the SLES system. The procedure is well exaplained in the following posts:

Manual SCOM agent certificate signing

and

Deploy SCOM Agent to Linux Manually

This one is also good:

Quick Post – Check Linux Certificate Issued by SCOM

Don't forget to make sure your xplat certificates are OK:

"Configure the Xplat certificates (export/import) for each management server in the pool" from Deploying Unix/Linux Agents using OpsMgr 2012

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by Stoyan ChalakovMVP Monday, November 23, 2015 10:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by forgiven Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:38 PM
    Monday, November 23, 2015 10:13 AM
  • Hi, all i have in "...\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Operations Manager\Server\AgentManagement\UnixAgents" is GetOSVersion.sh. No folders in there. I used the vhd to install. Our version is different from yours:

There aren't any updates in windows updates (and other microsoft products)

• Edited by forgiven Monday, November 23, 2015 8:26 PM
    Monday, November 23, 2015 8:24 PM
  • I searched through the mounted vhd for *.rpm and nothing was found. Wondering if i have the correct vhd from MS? Or maybe its because of the way SCOM was installed (from within the mounted vhd)?

EDIT/

According to https://buildnumbers.wordpress.com/scom/ the version we have is in fact the latest build. UR8 is installed. You must be using the agent version not the SCOM version? Anyway, still no folders in "...\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Operations Manager\Server\AgentManagement\UnixAgents"

• Edited by forgiven Monday, November 23, 2015 11:58 PM
    Monday, November 23, 2015 11:19 PM
  • Please download System Center 2012 Management Pack for UNIX and Linux Operating Systems (2015/08)  https://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=29696 and install this managment pack and import the required SLES12 MP which contains Linux agent. After a few minutes, the Linux agent will appear in the folder \Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Operations Manager\Server\AgentManagement\UnixAgents\DownloadedKits
    Roger

• Edited by System Center guy Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by forgiven Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:39 PM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 5:32 AM
  • Hi,

the latest version can be found in the download location Roger posted. Install the .msi, import the management packs and you will find the folder :)

Happy SLES monitoring. Regards,

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 7:45 AM
  • I dont mean to be a bug and i thank you for your patience; i did download the latest version from the link provided but when importing the MP's, SLES 12 is NOT listed as 1 to import:

This is 'from catalog' as the MP installed and did not extract MP's to select from. 

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 1:53 PM
  • Hi,

after you install the .msi you will have a folder

...\Program Files\System Center Management Packs\System Center 2012 R2 Management Packs for UNIX and Linux

In this folder you will have all the management packs including the desired MP for SLES 12

Afterwards you can just navigate to Administration -> Management Packs and select "Import Management Pack". Then navigate to the folder and select the MP and confirm the installation.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 2:22 PM
  • Yea, i just downloded from the link Roger provided and "installed" it on my laptop. In ...\Program Files (x86)\System Center Management Packs\System Center 2012 R2 Management Packs for UNIX and Linux, there isn't SLES12 MP:

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 2:56 PM
  • Hi,

something doesn't make sense here. Your installation path shows the version 7.4.4339.0, which would explain why you don't see the SLES 12 MP.

The question is why are you getting this version and not the right one (7.5.1045.0)?

Regards,

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:04 AM
  • Again, thank you guys for the patience!! Silly me, i see i downloaded the SCOM 2012 msi and not the 2012 R2 msi...... smh

Downloading the 2012 R2 msi now.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 12:18 PM
  • That's a relief :)

I was beginning to think, that I am missing something big here ;)
    Please, mark all helpful answers, so that the topic can be closed.

Regards,

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 12:34 PM
  • I sure will. However, i still don't have the downloadedkits folder.......

I imported linux.library, suse.library and sles12 MP's. The import said "successful". We also have an OES 11 server (built on SLES11) so i imported the SLES11 MP. Checked the downloadedkits folder and it is NOT there. SCOM discovers the SLES12 server but still says unsupported. I also restarted the server

• Edited by forgiven Wednesday, November 25, 2015 12:52 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

if you have imported all related library MPs and the SLES 12 MP, the folder will get created and you will find the agents there. Maybe it is a matter of time or refresh :) I'm curious to know the cause.

Regards,

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 12:59 PM
  • Thanks for sticking with me. I searched for *.rpm and found the SLES11 and SLES12 rpm's here

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Operations Manager\Server\Health Service State\Resources\507. The rpm installed on the SLES12 server.

• Edited by forgiven Wednesday, November 25, 2015 1:30 PM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 1:25 PM
  • Hi,

those files seem to be extracted from the MP bundle, they should do the job.

Regards,

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 1:38 PM