none
Windows 1809 can't connect to VM in Hypervisor RRS feed

• Question

• I setup a new windows 2019 Standard sever with HyperV.  I can create the Windows 2012R2 VM with no problems.  I can Start the VM with no problems.  I can see the VM started in the bottom window.  I can't connect to the VM to do the Windows install.  When I double click or right click-->Connect, I just get a spinning circle for a few seconds and it disappears.

All of a sudden now I noticed on my windows 10 PC version 1809 using HyperV, I can't connect to any VMs anymore...?

I just noticed using a different windows server 2018R2 and Hypervisor, I can connect to the newly created VM on the new 2019 server.

Any thoughts on how to connect to a VM using a windows v1809 Hypervisor...?

Thanks,

Tom....

Tom Karpowski...

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 3:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Try connecting the Hyper-V manager console from other working machines

Open Hyper-V manager from a working machine --> Right click on Hyper-V -->Connect to another server --> provide the name or IP address of the problematic server.

Once connected, try connecting to the VM if is getting connected

Regards,
    Bala N

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 4:08 PM
  • HI, Thank you for your reply, but in your reply, I said that scenario works above.

Rewording my question is on my patched windows 1809 Server or PC, how can I fix it so I can use the local HyperV Application to connect to local or remove VMs...?

I am concerned about putting this new dedicated HyperV machine into production and I can't connect to VMs.  I should be, right...?

Is this a Windows update bug because it was working on my 1809 PC probably a month or so ago maybe since a Windows update...?

Thanks

Tom Karpowski...

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 4:22 PM
  • Hi ,

Please refer to the following steps:

1. Restart VMMS services and then check again.

2.Check the event log to see if there are something related for us to troubleshooting.

3.We could type “get-hotfix” in the PowerShell to check which update we installed recently.

If possible, uninstall the latest updates and then check if the issue still occurs.

4.As a workaround, you might type “vmconnect” in the Run , and connect to your created VM to see if it can pop up the VM connection window.

5.Run sfc /scannow to repair any corrupt system files.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 3:25 AM
  • Thank you.  I will try this tomorrow and update you.

Tom Karpowski...

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 9:10 PM
  • Hi ,

I will wait for your updates.

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, May 2, 2019 1:57 AM
  • 1 didn't work

2 nothing to speak of

3 I could only unistall 2 updates.  I couldn't uninstall KB4464455.

the server is offsite and I will have my collegue reinstall the OS and I will start from scratch and note everything as I go to see where/if it breaks.

If I can get the server reinstalled tonight, I hope to update you tomorrow

Thank you

Tom Karpowski...

Thursday, May 2, 2019 8:19 PM
  • HI, What a difference in a reinstall of the OS.  Now this and everything is working fine.  There must have been a problem with the initial install.

Thank you for your assistance.

Tom Karpowski...

Friday, May 3, 2019 7:55 PM
  • Hi ,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved.

>>What a difference in a reinstall of the OS.  Now this and everything is working fine.  There must have been a problem with the initial install.

I noticed that you said it was working on your PC probably a month ago.

Sometimes, windows updates or some third-party may cause system file corruption. Normally, when a file becomes corrupt, it cannot be accessed or some data in the file is lost.

Generally, we perform a System File Checker (SFC) scan to repair system file. If sfc command doesn't work, we will try a reinstall.

Best Regards,

Candy

Monday, May 6, 2019 2:34 AM