none
Disk protection and Windows Activation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

Having problem with Steady state and the Windows Genuine Advatage.

I wiped a computer and installed a fresh copy of xp sp3 and activated it.

Intalled steadystate 2.5 and created all my user profiles and locked them down then turned on disk protection.

Seems lately everytime I opt to save changes from my admin account, after reboot, the locked user gets a message saying there had been a big hardware change and windows would need to be re-activated. Once loged in, the locked user gets the genuine advatage thing on the bottom right hand side of screen. When he logs off and I login as admin and click on activate windows, it says windows is already activated.

Is this a bug?

Don't under stand why this Microsoft product is not compatable with the genuine advantage. Has anyone else had this problem? I searched the forums and did not find an answer to this issue. I dont want that to pop up on accounts everytime I opt to save changes to WDP.

This is a legit OEM copy of Windows XP.

Thank you,

Adam 
    Monday, November 30, 2009 3:52 PM

Answers

• Hi, what if you completely disable Windows Disk Protection? I mean we may need to find if the issue is related to WDP or the Windows Genuine Advantage.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, December 4, 2009 2:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Adam, do you activate your Windows XP before you enable Windows Disk Protection in Windows SteadyState?

The Windows SteadyState Disk Protection function will protect the hard disk from any changes. After you enable Disk Protection, you are prompted to activate XP. If the Windows Disk Protection is configured in the “Remove all changes at restart “ level, the reactivation changes will be lost after you restart the computer.

I suggest we try the following steps to see if we can resolve this issue:

1. Please start the Windows XP, reactivate it and logon as administrator to the Windows XP client
    2. Open Windows SteadyState, click “Protect the Hard Disk”
    3. Select “Retain all changes permanently” option, click OK
    4. Restart the Windows XP client, reactivate the Windows XP, and then restart the machine. You should not be prompted to activate the XP this time.
    5. Logon as administrator
    6. Open Windows SteadyState, click “Protect the Hard Disk”, and then set the Protect the Hard Disk function back to original state.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 10:16 AM
  • Hey Sean,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I did activate before installation. "I wiped a computer and installed a fresh copy of xp sp3 and activated it."

It keeps prompting on the locked down accounts if I (the admin), opt to save changes. It's rather annoying. If I were to login to an admin account and start the windows activation app, it says its already activated.

I logoff the account where is says it needs to be activated, login to mine (which will tell me it already is) and reboot and it does not prompted the locked user again. If i were to save changes to WDP and reboot, loging on to a locked account will again say there was a hardware change and windows needs to be reactivated. Seems WDP is triggering windows activation again (even though its already activated when an admin goes to reactivate). Using 2.5

This has to be a bug.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 12:12 PM
  • Hi, I suggest you temporarily disable Windows Disk Protection/unlock the restricted users on the computer then, log on the computer by using the restricted users, activate Windows XP and restart the computer. Then, you can enable Windows Disk Proection or lock the users. Let's see if the issue still occurs.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 6:54 AM
  • Hi, I suggest you temporarily disable Windows Disk Protection/unlock the restricted users on the computer then, log on the computer by using the restricted users, activate Windows XP and restart the computer. Then, you can enable Windows Disk Proection or lock the users. Let's see if the issue still occurs.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT

Tried that yesterday, said windows was already activated. Saved changes this morning to WDP this morning and it did it again. When I login to admin account says its updated, unlocked user and says its activated. Is it the Genuine software doing it maybe? It's only this workstation I'm having a problem with. Something else I'm missing?
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 12:04 PM
  • Hi, what if you completely disable Windows Disk Protection? I mean we may need to find if the issue is related to WDP or the Windows Genuine Advantage.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, December 4, 2009 2:40 AM