none
How to block Windows 10 1903 build on Intel Win 10 PC stick 32GB variant RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I was wondering what are my options to block the Windows 10 1903 build from installing on the mentioned device. The problem occurs, after the build was released, Win 10 OS still reserves 7 - 8GB of space on Win 10 1809 build. The device has a lack of storage because of this. How do I block the build and future Win 10 updates on the device? 

I was thinking about these options:

1. New firewall rule to block inbound windows 10 updates from Microsft update servers, with port blockage. - I did not try this option yet!

2. Registry to block future WIn 10 updates -Tried and not working, still pushes 1903 build through!

3. Settings/update and security/Metered connection and semi-annual 365 updates - Tried and not working, still pushes the build through!

Thank you in advance for all of your advices and help.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:23 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can use Show or hide updates tool to skip/block V1903 upgrade:

https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-block-feature-updates-in-windows-10

Hope this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP. 

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 12:12 PM
  • Hi,

Is it a domain joined computer or local computer?

If it is a domain joined computer, we should confirm with company administrator to check if any related group policy was configured to allow feature update install.

If it is a local computer, we could block wustat.windows.com and ws.microsoft.com, but this action will bring other application update failure or other store application installation failure. Also it will affect our network surfing when using browser to access Microsoft website. 

Windows update have a build-in task scheduler which will trigger update every 22 hours. If we delete update service or related registry, the task will trigger the service to start that is why you failed for blocking through registry. 

We could try to check if Kapil's suggestion works for you. Or we need to troubleshooting why defer feature update through Settings\Update&security\Windows update\Advanced option not work.

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 6:09 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? 

I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 2:33 AM