How to check why a Runbook is not doing what it's supposed to do? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to set up an offering which would allow IT guys to raise Incidents on behalf of other users. I'm using this guide:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/antoni/archive/2012/06/06/how-to-raise-an-incident-on-behalf-of-a-different-user.aspx

It's actually the second time I'm setting this up. First time it was working fine, but after I re-created my entire SCSM environment, I can't get it to work anymore. There aren't many differences between the old and new environments, other that the new one having Notifications, whereas the old one did not have any.

Anyway, is there a way to track if the Runbook is being fired and when it is failing? Can I use the Tester in the Runbook Designer for this purpose?

Kind regards,

Wojciech

Monday, August 3, 2015 8:22 AM

Answers

• The Runbook Tester is your best friend to validate the runbook is working, what happens and error messages thrown by an runbook activity.

The main difference between executing a runbook in the Runbook Tester and execute the runbook later based on the Runbook Server is the difference of the user context the runbook is executed:

Runbook Tester: The runbook is executed in the context of the current user logged in at the console

Runbook Server: The runbook is executed in the context of the Runbook/Orchestrator Service Account

Hope this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

• Proposed as answer by Andreas BaumgartenMVP Monday, August 3, 2015 10:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by rozanw Tuesday, August 4, 2015 7:56 AM
    Monday, August 3, 2015 10:26 AM

All replies

• The Runbook Tester is your best friend to validate the runbook is working, what happens and error messages thrown by an runbook activity.

The main difference between executing a runbook in the Runbook Tester and execute the runbook later based on the Runbook Server is the difference of the user context the runbook is executed:

Runbook Tester: The runbook is executed in the context of the current user logged in at the console

Runbook Server: The runbook is executed in the context of the Runbook/Orchestrator Service Account

Hope this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

• Proposed as answer by Andreas BaumgartenMVP Monday, August 3, 2015 10:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by rozanw Tuesday, August 4, 2015 7:56 AM
    Monday, August 3, 2015 10:26 AM
  • More info:

System Center 2012 Orchestrator - Test & Start RunBooks

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/8207.system-center-2012-orchestrator-test-start-runbooks.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 2:18 AM
  • All of a sudden everything started working. We'll see for how long....

Of course after solving one problem another one emerged. But that's a story for a different discussion.

Kind regards,

Wojciech

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 7:56 AM