QVC Dell E520 Dimension Vista Freezes solved RRS feed

• Question

• Bought a Dell E520 Dimension with Win-CP from QVC. It arrived working and then after ordering and installing Vista the freezing problem started. Emaili to QVC only resulted in directing me to Dell support. Dell support was 4 hours on a phone to a guy in south India and no solution except more phone support later.

Email to QVC again and again resulted in a series of 100%, complete, total nothing, no help, "...your request has been forwarded to a department and they will get back to you..." and nobody ever "gets back to you". So, unless you enjoy being treated poorly for being a paying customer who bought a defective product, PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE A DELL PC FROM QVC. Personally, I am through with QVC, this incredible lack of customer "support" left a sour taste in my mouth. Respond to me and I'll forward the emails from QVC I saved so you can see for yourself.

THANK YOU to whomever figured this out AND took the time to post it. It worked for me!

Turned off the E520. Disconnect the power, mouse, keyboard, monitor, printer, internet, etc. Then, open the case. Put on something to protect against static discharge from your hand. Start depressing the power switch repeatedly for a couple minutes to drain all power from the system. Locate the orange cables that plug into sata 1 and sata 4. Number sata 1 is perpendicular to and in another location from sata 2,3,4,5.

Disconnected the cable that plugged into sata 4 and moved it to sata 5. Disconnected cable plugged into sata 1, turned it 190 degrees and plugged into sata number 4. Disconnect wherever you attached your static dischage protector. Close the case.

Re-attach the monitor, mouse, keyboard, internet, printer, finally the power cable. Start the macine and start depressing the F2 key repeatedly. Bios opens. Scroll down to "displays". Go to sata #1 and turn it to "off". Go to Sata number 5 and turn it to "on". now select "save and exit".

This machine now works witout freezes of Vista.

Without this forum, well, you solved this problem! Thank you again.

Again, PLEASE DO NOT TRUST QVC. Peraonally, they lost me for good as a customer.

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT QVC AND DELL..YOU MAY BE EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED AND ANGRY IF YOU GO THROUGH WHAT WE DID...THEY IGNORED US AND OUR (THEIR) PROBLEM.

Mark F.  (Illinois)

mrfritz@insightbb.com

Sunday, April 15, 2007 3:13 PM