IAG+ADFS: Occassional problem logging back in after session timeout RRS feed

• Question

• I have a number of users complaining they occassionally see an error when they log back in after their IAG portal session has expired.  We are using ADFS to authenticate the users.  The error message is

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01a8' 

Object required: 'repositories' 

/InternalSite/ADFS/inc/WhaleRepository.inc, line 168 

The users' descriptions are vague; and I have not been able to replicate the problem.  I believe it occurs when requesting Validate.asp during relogging in.

Can anyone throw some light on the problem?

Thanks,
    Steve Lang

Friday, January 29, 2010 11:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Steve,
    I don't believe we've seen this before. It might be that the users are taking a wrong "path" into the application, like launching the site from a bad URL, using the "back" button on the browser when it's not supported, going into an application from a bookmark or a mail link etc. As a troubleshooting step, I suggest you ask your users to make sure they launch the portal from the correct base URL. If this still happens, suggest they try closing and re-opening the browser between logoff and re-logon, to make sure all the session parameters are cleaned up.

Another thing that might be linked to this is if you have any kind of load balancer in the picture, so if so, try bypassing it temporarily and see if it has an effect.
    Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, February 1, 2010 6:57 PM
    Monday, February 1, 2010 6:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Steve,
    I don't believe we've seen this before. It might be that the users are taking a wrong "path" into the application, like launching the site from a bad URL, using the "back" button on the browser when it's not supported, going into an application from a bookmark or a mail link etc. As a troubleshooting step, I suggest you ask your users to make sure they launch the portal from the correct base URL. If this still happens, suggest they try closing and re-opening the browser between logoff and re-logon, to make sure all the session parameters are cleaned up.

Another thing that might be linked to this is if you have any kind of load balancer in the picture, so if so, try bypassing it temporarily and see if it has an effect.
    Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, February 1, 2010 6:57 PM
    Monday, February 1, 2010 6:57 PM
  • Hi Ben,

I was afraid it hadn't been seen before.  We have configured IAG/ADFS to allow users to log back in, using the same browser sessions, after their portal trunk sessions have timed-out and then to be taken to the page they requested.  (This also allows users to use bookmarks.) 

It sounds possible that some session parameter from the previous session might be causing the issue we're experiencing with our set up.  Some of the users mentioned that once the error occurred they could not log in until they closed the browser session.

Regards,
    Steve Lang

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 11:30 AM