none
Multiple Project Management in MSP and link with Excel RRS feed

• Question

• I plan and manage multiple projects (about 3000 projects yearly) that is a download in an Excel spreadsheet from another software where each individual project is on a row and each columns are phases/information of the project (ex. project approval date, design start, design finish, tender start, tender finish, construction start and finish, Project Manager's names, project estimated budget, and so on). How can I transfer this information (in columns) of all the projects (in rows) from Excel into MSP 2010?

Friday, November 11, 2011 2:54 AM

Answers

• Belle,

The timeline feature in Project 2010 uses the information from the rows in Project (either tasks or project phases) and places them on a horizontal timeline.  The reason I asked about a direct transfer is that you have task or phase information in the columns in the Excel spreadhseet.  In Project, this information is kept in rows.  You also have information that can/should be placed into columns in Project (e.g. project estimated budget) and information that can/should be placed in the properties dialog box (e.g. Project manager name).

In my opinion, the information you have for each project in the Excel columns needs to be translated to rows in Project.  You could then easily create a timeline.  Instead of creating a different project file for each project, you could have a single file with many projects.  It appears that you are recording about a dozen or so pieces of information.  This would also make it easier to link projects that have relationships to each other.

Since you have multi-faceted pieces of information in columns (design start & finish; construction start and finish) I cannot think of an easy way to do this.  Perhaps someone else has ran into this situation before.  I am sorry that I could not be of more help.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Friday, November 11, 2011 7:23 PM
  • A VBA Macro in Excel or Project can do this for you. If you want Project updated regularly from this other application you would need another macro.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Friday, November 11, 2011 8:15 PM

All replies

• Belle,

Do you want to transfer the column information in Excel to rows in Project - or are you asking if you can do a direct transfer and manage the information in Project as you are in Excel?

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Friday, November 11, 2011 3:34 AM
  • Thank you Gregg for replying quickly,

I would like first to be able to transfer the information in MSP as I would be in Excel in order to see each project's complete timeline, as Excel is not as visual. I saw in one of your demo that MSP 2010 can produce a project timeline with multiple project phases (or milestones) on one row. My purpose would then be to sort per each phases start or finish date (if possible) to level my ressources workload (as they are different per project phases). Your other alternative might also be adequate as well.

Friday, November 11, 2011 4:08 AM
  • Belle,

The timeline feature in Project 2010 uses the information from the rows in Project (either tasks or project phases) and places them on a horizontal timeline.  The reason I asked about a direct transfer is that you have task or phase information in the columns in the Excel spreadhseet.  In Project, this information is kept in rows.  You also have information that can/should be placed into columns in Project (e.g. project estimated budget) and information that can/should be placed in the properties dialog box (e.g. Project manager name).

In my opinion, the information you have for each project in the Excel columns needs to be translated to rows in Project.  You could then easily create a timeline.  Instead of creating a different project file for each project, you could have a single file with many projects.  It appears that you are recording about a dozen or so pieces of information.  This would also make it easier to link projects that have relationships to each other.

Since you have multi-faceted pieces of information in columns (design start & finish; construction start and finish) I cannot think of an easy way to do this.  Perhaps someone else has ran into this situation before.  I am sorry that I could not be of more help.

Friday, November 11, 2011 7:23 PM
  • A VBA Macro in Excel or Project can do this for you. If you want Project updated regularly from this other application you would need another macro.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Friday, November 11, 2011 8:15 PM
  • Yes it is possible to keep track of multiple projects with Microsoft Project Standard. The project management solutions offered by the software application ensures compatibility across all MS Office tools, including Excel. I suggest you read through the help section of the website for an how-to guide.
    • Edited by Garry Burks Monday, December 5, 2011 9:24 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 9:22 AM