none
Where can I find description for Exchange Server "DatabaseState" enumeration? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, all.

I'm working on template for Zabbix Server to monitor Exchange healthy and perfomance with built-in perfomance counters and looking for counter describes database state.

So, I've found "\MSExchangeIS Store(database name)\Database State" counter which return some ineger indicates databases state - 1, 2 etc. But I cannot find any description of these. There is a short explanation in the description field: "The DatabaseState enum value reflecting the current database state". I've tried to search through MSDN, but unseccessefull.

I need some mapping for int values to names, like "1 = Healthy", "2 - Mounted" and so on.

Monday, June 10, 2019 1:36 PM

All replies

• Hi asand3r,

Based on my test in my lab, it seems that there are only two values reflect the current database state, 0 = dismounted, 1 = mounted, like below:

when database is mounted:

When database is dismounted:

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 6:21 AM
  • Hi, Niko,

Thank you for reply. In my production env with DAG I have 1 and 2. 1 - database is mounted and 2 - is healthy.
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 7:04 AM
  • Hi asand3r,

Agreed. I have created a DAG in my lab and test again, there are 3 values:

0 = database is dismounted 
    1 = database is mounted 
    2 = database copy is mounted and healthy

as below:

I select 3 databases on MBX2 server to monitor:

The value is 0 : a default database named "mailbox database 0177008118" without any copy, and dismount it. 

The value is 2: Database db1 is a passive copy and the state is healthy ( I have tried to change the state to suspend, the value does not change)

The value is 1: Database db2 is a primary database and mount on MBX2.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:16 AM
  • OK, so you think that's all possible values for the counter? Certainly will be great to read docs for this enumeration on MSDN...
    Tuesday, June 11, 2019 9:00 AM
  • Hi asand3r,

Yes, I think that's all possible values for the counter.

Unfortunately, I don't find any official doc for this enumeration also.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Thursday, June 13, 2019 1:41 AM
  • Hmm, interesting, I've just got value '3' for one of my databases while it's backing up.
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 10:53 AM
  • Hi asand3r,

When the database is backing up, does the status of the database change? 

Since there is no official document indicating the specific possible value, it seems that we can only be sorted out according to the actual situation. However, in my opinion, as long as the value is not 0(dismounted), we should be able to accept other status.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Friday, June 14, 2019 10:15 AM
  • Hi asand3r,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well. 

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Thursday, June 27, 2019 7:26 AM