Conflicting File Type Associations RRS feed

• Question

• We recently deployed a virtualized Adobe Reader out to our enterprise.  For the majority of users, it simply replaced the file type associations with .pdf and users transparently switched from their local Adobe install to the App-V virtualized version.  One place where we have run into a bit of an issue is where users have a local installed copy of Acrobat on their machine.

Users that have Acrobat obviously want to use that program to launch and edit PDF documents.  There is not an easy was for us to exclude this group of users from receiving the virtual Adobe reader.  What I am trying to figure out is how can I reclaim the PDF FTA for just those users?  At what point does the FTA get overwritten by the App-V client?

Thursday, December 9, 2010 1:06 PM

Answers

• Depending on how you deploy the App-V package, FTAs are written to either HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes (i.e. packages targetting users) or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes (i.e. packages targetting computers)

If you are targetting users, then you could create a copy of the OSD files in the Reader package and remove the FTAs. Create two groups of users and deploy the packages depending on the user requirements.

To back out the existing FTA changes for users, just delete the entries in HKCU.

If you are targetting computers, then the FTAs in HKLM will have been overwritten, so backing them out will require reverting them back to what they should be for just Acrobat.

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:58 AM
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 1:29 PM

All replies

• Depending on how you deploy the App-V package, FTAs are written to either HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes (i.e. packages targetting users) or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes (i.e. packages targetting computers)

If you are targetting users, then you could create a copy of the OSD files in the Reader package and remove the FTAs. Create two groups of users and deploy the packages depending on the user requirements.

To back out the existing FTA changes for users, just delete the entries in HKCU.

If you are targetting computers, then the FTAs in HKLM will have been overwritten, so backing them out will require reverting them back to what they should be for just Acrobat.

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:58 AM
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 1:29 PM
  • Thanks Aaron.  We are definitely targeting users as opposed to computers for this package.  Because they wanted this deployed to all possible users, "Domain Users" is the target security group which makes it difficult to isolate out a specific set of users.  The approach of backing out the entries in HKCU seems like a viable option, maybe something I could put inside a GPO.

Thursday, December 9, 2010 1:58 PM