In search of guidance relating to impact of Microsoft based upgrades on MOSS 2007 farm RRS feed

• Question

• I am learning to admin a MOSS 2007 (service pack 1) single server farm after the departure of the team who did the initial deployment.

I was contacted today by the infrastructure group who manages servers, who inform me that they are planning on upgrading the domain controller servers to Acdtive Directory 2008 R2.  They asked for me to locate documentation from Microsoft dealing with compatibility.

I found a Microsoft document discussing deployment of SharePoint 2007 and Windoes Server 2008 R2, and it discusses the need to be at service pack 2. What I wasn't able to determine is whether that applies only to the case where the sharepoint server itself was 2008 R2, or if it is also required for MOSS 2007 to interact with AD 2008 R2.

Does anyone have any experience with this - or even better, pointers to MS documentation regarding this topci?

If this does require the SP 2 be applied to SharePoint, does anyone have pointers to what needs to be taken into consideration before that service pack is applied? I've never been involved with applying a service pack and I could use some practical recommendations.

Thank you.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:45 PM

All replies

• > I found a Microsoft document discussing deployment of SharePoint 2007 and Windoes Server 2008 R2, and it discusses the need to be at service pack 2. What I wasn't able to determine is whether that applies only to the case where the sharepoint server itself was 2008 R2

My understanding is that the Microsoft document (Hint: give us the URL when talking about a MS document) is saying that you need to install MOSS 2007 including Service Pack 2 in order for an installation to a Windows Server 2008 R2 system to work.

(It has nothing to do with AD as such is my understanding of the situation)

P.S. I'm fairly sure the restriction also applies to an installation of WSS 3.0. There it is less of a problem because the download of WSS 3.0 that is available is the one including SP2. With MOSS 2007 it's unclear if there is a CD version available that includes SP2 and if not then you would need to slipstream the WSS 3.0 SP2 and the MOSS 2007 SP2 with the MOSS 2007 including SP1 which is probably on the CD.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:33 PM P.S. added
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:21 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by lvirden Thursday, March 31, 2011 12:07 PM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:30 PM
  • us the URL when talking about a MS document) is saying that you need to install MOSS 2007 including Service Pack 2 in order for an installation to a Windows Server 2008 R2 system to work.

http://www.microsoft.com/industry/healthcare/technology/hpo/serverbuild/moss2007deployment.aspx is the page from which I downloaded the Deployment guide referencing Windows Server 2008.

So if that document is not currently relevant - and that was my impression after having read it - then do you (or any of the other readers here) know of any microsoft document which discusses compatibility between MOSS SP 2007 and the version of Active Directory ?  The AD admin staff wants each group to provide documentation stating compatibility.

I have been searching microsoft.com but the articles I keep finding all are talking about running SP on Windows Server 2008.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:38 PM Do not use full quote. It's a waste of screen space
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:29 PM