OCS 2007 R2 , DNS Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I was wondering if you could help me

I have managed to finish my deployment of OCS 2007 R2 and now i am trying to get my clients to sign in automatically.

I have tried setting up my DNS records but i am running into problems

MY Set up

Root domain: Example.com

Child Domain: EX.Example.com (this is where my users live)

I created a SRV record with the following details

_sipinternaltls

_tcp.

Point to FDQN of the OCSPool

Then a A record with the name of the FQDN of the pool and the IP address of the front end server

I am getting the error message Server is temp unavailable

I am guessing that my DNS records are incorrect, is someone able to steer me in the right direction?

Sunday, August 8, 2010 9:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• What domain are the users using for their SIP domain?  This is where you will need to create the _sipinternaltls SRV record.  Your users live in the child domain, where does the FE server live?
    Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 10:03 PM
  • the users are using the ex.example.com sip , as the users and the servers are all in the child domain ,

nothing but the root DC and and a few hight level servers operate in the parent domain.

any idea's where im going wrong and do i need any dns records in the parent domain.?

thank you in advance

Chris ZC

Monday, August 9, 2010 9:50 AM
  • Is this standard or enterprise edition of OCS?  Do you have a director?  Can you give the details of your certificate (SN and SANs)?  Is the cert internal or public?  Does manual configuration of the communicator client work?  If so, what values are used?

It sounds like your DNS is right.  You need an SRV record of _sipinternaltls._tcp.sipdomain.com on port 5061 pointing to FE Pool name (or director if you have one).  You would also need a DNS A record for the pool name.  Do you have an A record of sip.sipdomain.com in your DNS?

You will not need anything in the parent domain.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425235(office.13).aspx

Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:33 AM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 2:08 PM
  • You need to create _sipinternaltls._tcp.ex.example.com

OCS will simply strip off everything after the users "@" and prepend _sipinternaltls._tcp to it.

Mark

Mark King | MCTS:UC Voice | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Messaging | CCNA | www.unplugthepbx.com
    Monday, August 9, 2010 2:08 PM
  • Addtion to Tim and Mark, You would like to check the following KB's with example for how to setup Certificate and DNS for your OCS deployment.

OCS 2007 Enterprise Edition - Certificate & DNS Requirements

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mcs-ireland-infrastructure/archive/2008/06/18/ocs-2007-enterprise-edition-certificate-dns-requirements.aspx

Even you can go through the following KB for split brain DNS

Split-Brain DNS: Configuring DirectAccess for Office Communications Server (OCS)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/edgeaccessblog/archive/2010/05/12/split-brain-dns-configuring-directaccess-for-office-communications-server-ocs.aspx

Arun Kumar | MCSE:W2K3 + Messaging | MCTS:Exchange 2007 | MCTS:OCS 2007 R2 | ITIL-F V3
    Monday, August 9, 2010 2:59 PM
  • thank you all for your responce im going to check out the links you have post and see what happens,

One quick question if my servers and users all reside with my child domain, then all my Sip's , and dns records should all work with in the child domian , i should have any reason to include the parent domain is this correct.?

Many thanks again

Chris

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:01 AM
  • If you do not have users who have a SIP URI in the parent domain, there is no need to add DNS SRV records for the parent domain.
    Mark King | MCTS:UC Voice | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Messaging | CCNA | www.unplugthepbx.com
    • Marked as answer by Ben-Shun Zhu Tuesday, August 17, 2010 8:33 AM
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:47 PM
  • many thanks you all whole have commented will let you know how i get on

Chris ZC

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:20 PM
  • Right first off would like to say a huge thank you to all have commented in this post .

Right so OSC is installed and working , DNS records are working and so far so good.

My next question is what do i need to put in to allow my user base to use there email address to log in.

At the moment there using SIP address User@ex.example.com ( child domain address )

How ever there email address are User@Example.com

now when i change there sip address it say the server is unavilble so im guessing this is related to a DNS entry issue,

do i need to put some DNS entries in the primary domain in order to point to the child domain to get this working .

Second question is am i going to have issues with the cert. as they are matched with the child domain pool?

thanks in advance

Saturday, August 21, 2010 7:49 PM