Change name in comments RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MS Word 365 on a win 7 machine. How can I change the name that shows in the comments and changes made/created by another user on a different machine?
    Friday, May 11, 2018 7:23 PM

Answers

• Actually, I have already done what I wanted. It IS possible to change other user's names but you can only change all users names to "Author", which suits me fine. The way to do that is to go to: "File", then right click on the "Author" and select "Remove User". Save the file, then close it and open it again. All user names will now be "Author" in all comments. 
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, May 15, 2018 5:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Boballoo Tuesday, May 15, 2018 5:34 AM
    Monday, May 14, 2018 6:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The name shows in the comments you made is set under File > Options > Personalize your copy of Microsoft Office, edit the user name to what you want. You cannot change the name of other authors.

If I've misunderstood something, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, May 14, 2018 8:53 AM
  • Actually, I have already done what I wanted. It IS possible to change other user's names but you can only change all users names to "Author", which suits me fine. The way to do that is to go to: "File", then right click on the "Author" and select "Remove User". Save the file, then close it and open it again. All user names will now be "Author" in all comments. 
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, May 15, 2018 5:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Boballoo Tuesday, May 15, 2018 5:34 AM
    Monday, May 14, 2018 6:28 PM
  • Thank you for the update. Glad to hear that you have found a solution.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 5:14 AM
  • I have never been able to get that particular approach to work, but as an alternative you can run the Document Inspector on the document and choose to remove personal information. Tracked Changes and comments will then be attributed to an anonymous "Author."

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Thursday, May 17, 2018 7:38 PM