none
License question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

We want to implement intune in our organizaiton and show to customers how intune / autopilot / hybrid azure ad join is working and the question that is coming up all the time is does global admin need a license to configure autopilot, hybrid azure ad join or to use Intune? Do I need to licenses global office 365 admin or these users can use Intune and autopilot without license

Friday, September 13, 2019 9:41 AM

Answers

• Each user that enrolls into Intune requires a license.
    • Marked as answer by medy5 Monday, September 16, 2019 6:18 AM
    Friday, September 13, 2019 10:32 AM
  • Not specifically. However I have noticed strange behaviour when the admin account you are using is not assigned a license. Therefore I always assign a license to remove any doubt.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Saturday, September 14, 2019 3:02 PM
  • Hello,

Even you don't assign Intune license to the Global administrator, you still can perform management tasks in Intune, but NOT every tasks. Please see below.

The account you use to create your Microsoft Intune subscription is a global administrator. As a best practice, do not use a global administrator for day-to-day management tasks. While an administrator does not require an Intune license to access the Intune on Azure portal, in order to perform certain management tasks, such as setting up the Exchange service Connector, an Intune license is required.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/users-add

Instead of Global administrator, I would recommend to assign the Intune roles for management tasks by using RBAC. By the way, to be assigned an Intune role, the user must have an Intune license.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 16, 2019 12:33 AM

All replies

• Each user that enrolls into Intune requires a license.
    Friday, September 13, 2019 10:32 AM
  • Hi,

Can you be more clear on this Nick. I am talking about Global admin not regular user. Should I really need to assing global admin with EMS E3 license or intune?

Friday, September 13, 2019 1:22 PM
  • Not specifically. However I have noticed strange behaviour when the admin account you are using is not assigned a license. Therefore I always assign a license to remove any doubt.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Saturday, September 14, 2019 3:02 PM
  • Hello,

Even you don't assign Intune license to the Global administrator, you still can perform management tasks in Intune, but NOT every tasks. Please see below.

The account you use to create your Microsoft Intune subscription is a global administrator. As a best practice, do not use a global administrator for day-to-day management tasks. While an administrator does not require an Intune license to access the Intune on Azure portal, in order to perform certain management tasks, such as setting up the Exchange service Connector, an Intune license is required.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/users-add

Instead of Global administrator, I would recommend to assign the Intune roles for management tasks by using RBAC. By the way, to be assigned an Intune role, the user must have an Intune license.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 16, 2019 12:33 AM
  • Thank you guys :) Now is clear what to do.
    Monday, September 16, 2019 6:18 AM