none
Replica of virtual DPM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am wondering if it would be possible to turn on hyper-v replica on a virtual DPM 2012 R2 running as a vm in hyper-v (separate standalone hyper-v host).

I am having issues using a secondary DPM to backup the primary DPM server and thought possibly i could just replicate the entire primary DPM server to the DR site.

I believe it would be technically possible, but am wondering about the stability and possible corruptions when replicating a 60+TB DPM server.

Any thoughts?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 10:47 AM

All replies

•  Hi !

You can use hyper-V replica for virtual DPM 2012 R2 but i recommend only for virtual hard disk with system data (i use same configuration).

For DPM data storage i recommend use (in your case) iSCSI, not hyper-V replica, because you have 60 TB+ and it will not have time to be copied.

If you have a problem with secondary DPM server that better resolve issue and use it, because it's convenient and fast!

Have a nice day !!!
    DPM 2012 R2: Remove Recovery Points
    DPM blog
    System Center
    Hyper-V

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 1:52 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks. You say it will not have time to be copied. What is the timeframe? If i calculated correctly (i have a 10Gbps link to the second site) 60TB will take 18 hours to replicate with an 80% throughput rate. That's the initial replication only.

After the initial replication i only have to replicate changes about 6 to 12 times per day. As far as i can tell the daily changes in DPM are about 6-8TB worth of data.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights

Monday, September 5, 2016 5:59 AM