Windows 7 classic theme stuck with black background RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

I downgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 7, as the user interface of Windows 8 is too cumbersome to use for the business user. There were also other issues with Windows 8, that I wasn't able to solve, but that's history now.

When I log on with a local account, I can set the classic interface, and it uses default desktop colors, start button, task bar, etc. When I log on with the domain user account which have been used under Windows 8.1 and change to the classic theme, the background gets black. Also, the task bar properties keep the Aero properties, instead of changing to the simple W2k-look. When logging on with a domain account that was never exposed to Windows 8, the classic theme behaves like expected.

Deleting the problematic domain account, and creating a new domain account for the user is out of question, as it contains a load of complicated application settings, that will take much time to rebuild. Turning off the Themes service is also out of the question, as there are other domain users who occasionally will use the computer, and are expecting to have their application settings and desktop layout.

I'm grateful, if somebody knows how to correct this strange behavior.

Best regards,

Peter

Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Was the domain profile for this uses a mandatory user profile?

A mandatory user profile is a special type of pre-configured roaming user profile that administrators can use to specify settings for users. With mandatory user profiles, a user can modify his or her desktop, but the changes are not saved when the user logs off. The next time the user logs on, the mandatory user profile created by the administrator is downloaded.

From your description, it seems that your domain account is in restriction. Please also check if there are some group polies appied to your account?

How to create a mandatory profile?

http://rajshare.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/how-to-create-a-windows-7-or-server-2008-r2-mandatory-profile-for-appsense/

Note This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Monday, March 17, 2014 1:46 AM
    Monday, March 10, 2014 2:44 AM