none
DPM 2012 R2 and SQL Database Synchronization problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have DPM 2012 R2 backing up a SQL 2014 database.

Recovery model of database is set as “Full”. Synchronization frequency setting 0f Protection Group is 15 minutes. Express Full Backup is once a day.

But in “select Short-term Goals” page, there is an info it says "Recovery points will be created for some members in the
    protections group based on the express full backup schedule.  To view members for which full backup is supported, click view members” and my DB is in that list.

Value of “Last Database Log Backup” of database in SQL Server Management Studio is “None”.

So DPM backup DB once a day not synchronizing every 15 minutes.

How can I fix this?

Thank you in advance.

Emin

• Edited by Darth Vader Friday, April 15, 2016 10:59 AM
    Friday, April 15, 2016 10:57 AM

All replies

• See.

Lets say you added 5 databases in a protection group. 

3 of them are FULL recovery model and 2 are with SIMPLE recovery model. 

Synchronization (Whcih is incremental backup in actual) Will sync after 15 minutes each and will backup logs. 

So for databases with FULL recovery model, DPM is syncing after each 15 minutes and taking one Full backup once i a day. You will have 1 Full backup, and 96 incremental backups after day for FULL Recovery model Databases. 

For other SIMPLE recovery model databases, you will have only one FULL backup after a day. Synchronization will not work because there's no logs in SIMPLE mode databases. 

However, 15 minutes sync changes of SIMPLE mode databases will applied to Replica Volume but they will not produce recovery point until you manually create it. 

Friday, April 15, 2016 5:46 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for reply.

I want to explain my problem in more detail.

I have two DB in an instance of SQL Server 2014. Recovery model of both DB is “full”.

I added two databases in a protection group.  Synchronization frequency setting 0f Protection Group is 15 minutes. Express Full Backup setting is once a day.

DPM ( DPM 2012 R2 ) is syncing after each 15 minutes and taking one Full backup once a day for first DB.  But DPM is taking one FULL backup after a day for second DB, not syncing after each 15 minutes for second DB.

Value of “Last Database Log Backup” of second DB in SQL Server Management Studio is “None”.

I don’t understand why DPM does not sync with second DB even though settings are identical for both DBs.

Thanks

Monday, April 18, 2016 7:09 AM
  • Hello,

I was fighting with a similar issue for long as well. The thing is, that DPM does not give you any advice about what is not correct. After my researches, I can give you some advices:

- SQL Version must meet requirement

- DB in Bulk or FULL recovery model

- AND (!!!) at least 50% free space on your SQL log disk. 

If you configured your protection with one of these requirements are not filled, you will just get the greyed incremental option when you do a recovery point. To workaround this, you need to remove the DB of your protection group (and keep the data), save the protection group and restart the wizard to re-add the DB.

I hope it will help!

Olivier Girard IT Consultant Platforms

Tuesday, February 4, 2020 9:52 AM