Exchange archive database crashing outlook. RRS feed

• Question

• Setup:

2 hubs/client access servers (SP1 only) in casarry.

2 Mail DB servers in DAG (SP1 only)

Scenario:

So, I'm playing around with exchange archive and have a few behavioral questions to
    ask. I created a new archive DB on one of my Mailbox servers which resides on
    slower disk. It made it part of my DAG but I'm choosing to not replicate the
    database for obvious reasons.

Here is my problem, when I reboot the server that hosts the archive all of my clients that
    have archive mailboxes lock their outlook and go "not responding"

This sort of defeats the purpose of having their normal mailboxes in a DAG, if they cannot
    access the failover copy because outlook is locked. Is this normal? Or is it
    because the archive its part of a DAG without a second copy? Would I see this
    if I added another server that was a standalone archive mailbox server?

• Edited by Hi.Craig Friday, August 24, 2012 2:50 PM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 2:47 PM

Answers

• Yep, but the goal is to never do a restore then implement deleted item retention and replication. If 95% of the data will never be accessed, then I would argue it shouldnt be kept in the first place.

• Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Monday, August 27, 2012 6:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Thursday, September 6, 2012 5:55 AM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 5:33 PM

All replies

• Well, I think you definetely want another copy of the archive database regardless.

I havent seen the behavior you describe, but I am not a fan of a dedicated archive mailbox server either.

Friday, August 24, 2012 2:57 PM
  • the reason for not replicating the archive to another DB is because it is old data that will never be accessed (at least 95% of it). I was hoping to conserve space and disk on my SAN. The archive is still backed up to tape weekly. It just seems like a waste of space to double my archive size. What are other organizations doing? Is everyone replicating their archive?
    Friday, August 24, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Yep, but the goal is to never do a restore then implement deleted item retention and replication. If 95% of the data will never be accessed, then I would argue it shouldnt be kept in the first place.

• Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Monday, August 27, 2012 6:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Thursday, September 6, 2012 5:55 AM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 5:33 PM