Duplicate Computer Entries RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am working with a customer that is getting duplicate computer entries in the console when they add a second management point to the site.  They can remove the entries, however they return upon the next discovery.  The only way they can prevent this currently is to remove the second management then delete the duplicates.  They will have a need for multiple management points due to the size of their network.

How do we prevent this problem from occurring when adding a second, third, or more management points?  They are running SC Config Manager 2012 with SP1.

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 9:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As Jason says, I also think MP should not do this thing. Check the agent name first.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, September 22, 2013 3:27 PM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:47 AM
  • As far as large scale, less than 25,000 endpoints but numerous large office locations across the country.

Then multiple MPs aren't valid anyway. Multiple MPs within a single primary site are *only* for availability and cross-forest scenarios. Clients use *any* available MP within their primary site (unless they are within the content location boundary of a secondary) -- MP use and selection by clients is *not* in any way location aware.

That has no bearing on the issue they are experiencing though -- which as already stated is probably not due to the use of a second MP anyway and will still need to be resolved.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 2:01 PM

All replies

• This is not normal behavior and is most likely not due to having multiple MPs -- MPs do not create resources.

What's creating the additional resources? You can tell by looking at the resource's properties and looking at the agent name filed(s).

How are they creating the MPs? There's really only one way, but maybe they are doing something odd.

When you say "size of their network" do you mean 25,000+ managed clients?

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 12:24 AM
  • Hi,

As Jason says, I also think MP should not do this thing. Check the agent name first.

Juke Chou
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:47 AM
  • I agree with Mr.Jason Sandys

Regards, Md Ehteshamuddin Khan All the opinions expressed here is mine. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 12:12 PM
  • I agree to all comments and this is not normal behavior, having more than one management promotes high availability, I am suspicious on some of the below factors:

• The Environment may already have a number of stale records
    • Confirm the configuration manager site maintenance tasks
    • Look into the the Active Directory environment , any replication issues
    • Administrations - Were the Configuration Manager clients forced to install again, this may generate a new configuration manager client guid
    How big is your environment in terms of Client and Configuration Manager infrastructure.??
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 12:47 PM
  • Thanks for the responses everyone.  I'l get with my customer this morning and see what's going on with the agent name.

As far as large scale, less than 25,000 endpoints but numerous large office locations across the country.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 1:31 PM
  • As far as large scale, less than 25,000 endpoints but numerous large office locations across the country.

Then multiple MPs aren't valid anyway. Multiple MPs within a single primary site are *only* for availability and cross-forest scenarios. Clients use *any* available MP within their primary site (unless they are within the content location boundary of a secondary) -- MP use and selection by clients is *not* in any way location aware.

That has no bearing on the issue they are experiencing though -- which as already stated is probably not due to the use of a second MP anyway and will still need to be resolved.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Just to note, neither solution marked as the answer are correct.  This problem has been escalated to Microsoft who have been able to duplicate the problem exactly as described.  They haven't found a solution to the problem.  Even using the duplicate entry management has not resolved the problem.  This is a genuine bug.  When I  get a viable solution from Microsoft I will post it for everyone.
    Monday, September 23, 2013 1:30 PM