Networking issue with certain websites RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, My domain server acts as a gateway for my business.
    For the past couple of months, we've been having issues reaching certain websites. At first I thought it was a third party program, but since we've disabled everything, were really not sure whats going on.

To make a long story short, some websites load fine, some dont, and need to be refreshed 4 or 5 times for them to load. A perfect example of this is Youtube. Youtube is actually a a very interesting example because the site loads fine, but once we load a video on any clinet machine, it comes up with an error loading the video. We need to refresh the page 5 times in order to see it. If we access Youtube directly on the server, everything loads perfectly fine!!!!!

We've tried disabling the windows firewall, and disabling Endpoint protection entirely.

Thanks!
    Friday, February 19, 2010 4:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This is not the right forum for your question, but I will try to offer some suggestions.

The problem is either hardware or software. So far it sounds like you have been focusing on software, but you should also check your hardware (switches, hubs, cabling, NICs, etc.). There is also the obvious question: did anything change a couple months ago?

You have narrowed the problem down a little by testing the sites directly from the server. Try to narrow it down further. I don't know anything about how the network is designed (i.e. is there a switch involved? Are you using NAT?) but the next thing I would do is try plugging a client machine in as close to the server as possible, eliminating as many intervening connections as possible.

Since you are able to find the Web sites, it doesn't appear to be a DNS problem although I wouldn't rule it out entirely. Streaming videos are not usually hosted on the same server as the Web page where they are displayed.

-Greg
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 5:32 AM