none
Inactivate Enterprise Custom Fields RRS feed

• Question

• In MS Project or Project Server 2010 is there a way to inactivate Enterprise Custom Fields?  There are too many of them showing up in the Project Information diaglogue box in MS Project.  If I delete them from PS they don't show up in MSP anymore but I don't want to delete as I might want them in the future.  I'd just like to inactivate, hide, unapply, etc. etc.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:44 PM

All replies

• There's not really a way to de-activate them, but hiding them can be done quite easily...

Are you currently using the "Departments" field? This field allows you to tag Projects, resources, enterprise fields and other things to belong to a particular department - only things tagged with the same department appear for those objects.

So - if you add an "Inactive" (or similar) entry to the "Department" look-up table, and then tag the fields you wish to hide with the "Inactive" department - they will no longer show up on project detail pages for projects, unless the project is also in the "Inactive" department...

Instructions:

1) Go to "Server Settings" and click "Enterprise Custom Fields and Lookup Tables"

2) Under "Look-up tables for custom fields" click "Departments"

3) Add a new entry to the list which you will use for inactive items (something like "Inactive" will work fine)

4) Click save to go back to the list of enterprise custom fields

5) click on the field you wish to hide from projects

6) Under "Department" choose the new department you have just added to the list. 

If not now, when?

• Proposed as answer by Denaun Friday, May 24, 2013 12:27 AM
    Friday, May 24, 2013 12:27 AM
  • Got it, thanks.  Do you know why I can't change the look-up table on built in custom fields?  Your solution works but it changesthe "Department" look-up table function.  I'd like to create a valid one (i.e. with true departmetns, no "inactive" type work-arounds) but I can't change any of the other fields to look at the new table.  And since I can't delete the buit-in custom fields I'm kinda stuck.
    Friday, May 24, 2013 7:48 PM