none
External links between projects inserted into a master project plan RRS feed

• Question

• Using MSP Server 2010 & MS Project 2010 Po...

I have a master project plan with about 20 subprojects inserted into it. I need to show the cross-project links (NOT inter-project dependancies) between different projects. (some have a 1 to 1 relationship & some have 1 to many relationship)

Attempted to simply use external links (using the <>\project1\42 format) but the links did not show on my gantt chart, which defeats the purpose of linking them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to try/change to get the cross project links to show up?  

Shelleyb

Monday, November 19, 2012 5:10 PM

All replies

• Shellyb --

Create the master project with all 20 projects in it.  Select a task in one project, press and hold the Control key, select the successor task(s) in the other project(s), release the Control key, and then click the Link tasks button.  This is absolutely the fastest and easiest way to set cross-project links.  Save and close the master project and then click the Yes to All button when prompted to save changes to the subprojects.

Also, in each of the subprojects, click File > Options > Advanced.  Confirm that all of the options are selected in the Cross Project Linking Options section near the bottom of the dialog.  If they are not selected, select all of them and then click the Save button.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Monday, November 19, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Thanks Dave!

I'll try (& check) this and let you know how it turns out...

Shelleyb

Monday, November 19, 2012 8:18 PM
  • Hi Shelleyb,

if you love the mouse, you can only do a drag&drop from the predecessor to the successor task bar within the Gantt Chart. It is important to aim into the middle of the task or milestone so you get a mouse cursor with four arrows up/down/left/right. Then click, hold and drag/drop onto the successor task.

But this is only fun within smaller project plans. In larger plans Dales suggestion is the far better.

Regards

Christoph

Monday, November 19, 2012 8:30 PM