none
AD Client Monitoring Error RRS feed

• Question

• I've noticed I have a bunch of alerts opening and then almost immediately closing (never make it to the active alerts view, but show up if I create a view to show all alerts within past 24 hours) related to Active Directory Client Monitoring.  The error is:

AD Client Monitoring: AD Connectivity is unavailable, or the response is too slow

If I look at my client perspective nodes, I see the following errors inmy "Operations Manager" event log:

"AD Client Connectivity : The LDAP Ping to 'MYROOTDC' failed."

(0x80004005)

It seems that my other root DC LDAP Ping and Bind is working properly, it seems to only be affecting the one DC.  Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!

Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:00 PM

Answers

• You might have a bad or slow connection issue here. We have also received feedback noise due to this particula alert. We are working on a fix in the next version of the MP.

If you don't find issues with connection (LDAP pings always work fine) then you might want to try overriding: either diable the monitoring or change severity so that critical alerts dont pop-up all the time (if that is an issue in the first place).

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:26 PM

All replies

• You might have a bad or slow connection issue here. We have also received feedback noise due to this particula alert. We are working on a fix in the next version of the MP.

If you don't find issues with connection (LDAP pings always work fine) then you might want to try overriding: either diable the monitoring or change severity so that critical alerts dont pop-up all the time (if that is an issue in the first place).

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:26 PM
  • I am working on this exact issue right now.  Customer can take a DC down - and they get the same result.  The monitor goes critical, generates and alert, and in the same second, goe back healthy and closes the alert.

I cant repro - but if I make some headway I will post back here.
    Friday, June 12, 2009 4:43 AM
  • Thanks for looking into this, I appreciate it!
    Friday, June 12, 2009 1:14 PM
  • Kevin,
    Any updates on a resolution to this?

Thanks!
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 6:01 PM
  • I had the exact same issue, and after much trial and error, we resolved this by increasing the threshold for the "Bind Threshold (msec)" value of the monitor.  The name of the monitor is called "AD Client Connectivity Monitor", and you create the override by:

- Search for the monitor name "AD Client Connectivity Monitor" from the Authoring\Monitors category in the Ops Console
    - Right click the monitor "AD Client Connectivity Monitor" - go to "Overrides", then to "Override Monitor", then to "For all objects of Class: Active Directory Client Perspective" - (or for only a particular object if you only have a single server complaining etc....)
    - Modify the "Bind Threshold (msec)" to something greater than 1000 msec - I increased ours to 4000 msec.

The way I found this was by looking in the OpsManager Event Log on the servers that were complaining about the connectivity issues....  The description of the event cited the Bind threshold took longer than the allotted 1000 msec.

Have a look and see if this helps.

Thanks,

smbaker77346

Monday, October 5, 2009 2:28 PM