Remote server in another office unstable RRS feed

• Question

• We have a problem sustaining a connection to 2 Servers in another office. The main office is in London, and browsing to the servers in Atlanta.

RDP is fine but if we browse the drives of the 2 servers, the connection will intermittently drop and users will go back down the folder structure a level or two, or will lose connection completely.

It only seems to occur when browsing. The two servers affected are both teamed on the NIC's, which is the only real difference I can see between them and the other two servers that are working fine, which are not teamed.

Duplex is full, and 1Gbps.

Server 1 is Windows Server 2003 SP2, 4GB RAM.

Server 2 is Windows Server 2003 64bit SP2, 8GB RAM.

These servers sit on the same Switch bank as the other servers that are behaving.

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks,

Andy

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Andy,

Thanks for posting here.

I’d suggest we may first to dispart teaming on both problematic hosts and see if this issue will persist coz this issue appeals has some connections with this setting and we do not provide any support for this technology thru Microsoft Product Support Services. If the problem is resolved by the removal of Network Adapter Teaming software, then further assistance must be obtained thru the Hardware Vendor.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:35 AM
  • ok thanks for that. Will try.

As a bit of extra info, those staff based in atlanta, have no connection issues to any servers. But if they drop into london, they experience the dropping connection issue when browsing.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:11 AM
  • Hi there,

Due to my bosses not allowing me to make changes to the servers with issue, I got hold of a test server and replicated the settings, but I could not get it to repeat the issue. The teaming on the test server worked fine with no drops. Anyone have any more ideas?

Thanks,

Andy

Friday, October 14, 2011 4:31 PM
  • After some latest testing we've come to realise this is an issue affecting all our servers.

Bascially the teaming of the NIC's is not involved in this issue, as we have now been able to replicate this on ALL the servers in our Atlanta office now.

So the issue from the top is:

Users in Atlanta have no issue browsing the shares of all their servers.

Users in London try to browse the shares of all the servers in Atlanta, and the initial connection may work, but then after a moment it may drop, and sometimes state that connection is denied.

Upon testing, if one user is browsing, and another connects in to browse as well, the first users connection drops. The is not RDP, but simple Share browsing. But only from our London office to ALL Atlanta server.

Apologies to Tiger Li - I have to remove your answer as it wasn't Team based.

Any further idea's?

Thanks,

Andy

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:42 PM