none
How to create a user instead of a contact RRS feed

• Question

• I am using FIM 2010 R2 but I'm pretty new to this tool.  I basically have two AD domains with Exchange 2010 SP2 in both domains.  I'm trying to migrate users (and their mailboxes) from one domain to another.  The only issue that I'm having is that the Active Directory Global Address List (GAL) management agent creates contacts instead of mail-enabled users.

Is there a way to use FIM to create a mail-enabled user and synchronize their passwords?  This way I can use the Exchange 2010 migration tool to migrate mailboxes. 

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:16 PM

Answers

• It's fair to say that the FIM Sync Service doesn't "do anything" out of the box -- it provides the framework to build on, and connectors to import and export efficiently across a variety of systems, but its flexibility comes along with a somewhat longer learning curve than single-purpose tools.

If you don't need ongoing sync and automated provisioning, a simpler tool like ADMT might be what you're looking for.

If you do need automated provisioning and sync, an experienced FIMster could probably set things up in a matter of days (depending on requirements of course).

• Marked as answer by DavidR1 Tuesday, August 7, 2012 10:13 PM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:49 PM

All replies

• Yes, but you will want to use regular Active Directory MAs, and not GAL Sync, to do mailbox-enabled user provisioning and sync, and (probably) PCNS to do password sync.  Note that you will need to write a bit of .NET code to orchestrate the provisioning unless you are also deploying the FIM Portal.
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:30 PM
  • thx.  I took a look at that and compared it to the GAL management agent.  It looks like a blank template to me with a *lot* of options.  I'm not a very good programmer either.  Is it fair to say that what I asked for can't be done out of the box?  I wish I knew how to proceed.  :(

I can't find any websites where someone just used the tool to do this.  Thx for your help but I feel even more in the hole than before.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:38 PM
  • It's fair to say that the FIM Sync Service doesn't "do anything" out of the box -- it provides the framework to build on, and connectors to import and export efficiently across a variety of systems, but its flexibility comes along with a somewhat longer learning curve than single-purpose tools.

If you don't need ongoing sync and automated provisioning, a simpler tool like ADMT might be what you're looking for.

If you do need automated provisioning and sync, an experienced FIMster could probably set things up in a matter of days (depending on requirements of course).

• Marked as answer by DavidR1 Tuesday, August 7, 2012 10:13 PM
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 7:49 PM
  • Thank you for your response. 
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 10:15 PM