re: Stop: C 000021a (fatal system error) . . . logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x000007b (0x00000000 0x00000000) RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi!

I have just discovered this site!

I have not been able to use my computer [laptop] for more than a year.  This is the message I get a few minutes after I turn the power on. 

Stop: C 000021a (fatal system error)  The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x000007b (0x00000000  0x00000000).  The system has been shut down.

I have special speech software on the laptop which costs far more than the machine.  Is there a solution to this problem.  I am not well versed in the mechanics of computers so PLEASE give me any helpful responses in a "computers for real dummies"  fashion. 

Bless you for listening!

Monday, August 16, 2010 1:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Try Start your computer in safe mode and Using Last Known Good Configuration to check if you can log in the system.

Please understand that since Windows system uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space, stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a third-party device drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

The system goes to a BSOD because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (either the device driver errors or the service errors), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

Microsoft - Help and Support
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see Microsoft Worldwide Home for regional support phone numbers.
    http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/

Meantime, you can refer to the following thread for more information:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistarepair/thread/73a0de9c-6dab-48a0-af75-da81e9c282df

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:42 AM

• Hi Magon!

Thanks for your reply.  I did try both the safe mode and last known good configuration and still got the same blue screen error message.  Someone has suggested replacing the memory module(s).  What do you think?
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 4:39 AM
  • Hi,

When did this issue begin to occur? Is it right after installing the speech software? This error generally happens when some software or hardware has been installed that is not as per the specifications of the PC. This kind of a c000021a unknown hard error can be resolved by uninstalling the software that is not as per the needs of your PC. If it is in this situation, we can perform in-place upgrade to repair system without removing the software.

Note: After performing In-Place Upgrade, your personal data and installed programs usually will not be removed but we may need to run Windows Update to install all the available updates for your system to update these system files to the current version. This troubleshooting process is time consuming. Your patience is highly appreciated.

As to the steps of In-Place Upgrade, I still would like to explain that it will reinstall all system files with this method. You may need to reinstall some applications to upgrade some files to a higher version, because they may be replaced during the installation of Windows. It will take about two hours to repair. Your personal files and settings will be kept as they were after the installation. However, it is always recommended to backup the important information and files to other partitions or other disks before doing it.

If you would like to perform the In-place Upgrade, let’s refer to the following steps.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

• If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

• If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Magon LiuModerator Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:09 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ikeaaeki Saturday, October 30, 2010 6:41 PM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 10:15 AM
  • Hi Magon!

I had been using the voice software long before this "error" issue started. Also, I have XP professional on my computer.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:16 AM