Tracking Resource Usage of Slow/Crashing Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• I'm helping a user troubleshoot their slow and crashing Outlook.

This user uses a lot of shared calendars and has to as per the nature of their work. I suspect the user's Outlook gets slow and occasionally crashes when it runs out of memory.

I was thinking of using perfmon to track Outlook's CPU time and memory usage to see if it was experiencing large spikes before crashes. I've never used perfmon beyond playing around with it a bit on my own computer. Through research, I realized that keeping perfmon up for extended periods of time is probably going to cause significant performance issues and not be worth the data it may or may not capture.

Is there another way to go about gathering the data I am trying to gather? Am I correct in my understanding of perfmon? Any advice towards this situation would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Moved by Steve Fan Monday, February 12, 2018 3:52 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Friday, February 9, 2018 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>This user uses a lot of shared calendars and has to as per the nature of their work.

It could cause a slow performance issue when you have multiple shared calendars opened in Outlook. With multiple shared calendar open, modifications or additions are not possible until it is finished syncing updates. 

The number of shared folders and mailboxes that you can have open without issues depends on several factors including hardware, mailbox size, size of the shared folders or mailboxes, number of folders in a shared mailbox, item count in folders, and network speed. A computer that has slower hardware, a large mailbox and slow network connection may only be able to open 5 or fewer shared folders or mailboxes. However, a faster computer that has a smaller mailbox and a fast network connection may be able to open 10 or more shared folders or mailboxes.

See the following article for more details:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/3136059/outlook-performance-issues-when-you-have-many-shared-folders-or-mailbo

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:49 AM
    Monday, February 12, 2018 3:52 AM
  • Hi,          

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:35 AM