none
Change Reply Address

Question

• A customer requested their reply address be changed in Exchange 2013.  I set a new email address policy, applied it and it seems find on the Exchange side.  If I look at the email accounts, the new reply address is the default.

The issue is in Outlook.  Outlook still remembers the old reply address.  I'm sure I could create a new profile, and I can also go into the properties in Outlook and change it.  But I'd like to just have this automated.

Will Outlook eventually take the new reply address after things update or will this require manual intervention on all Outlook clients?   By the way, OWA uses the new reply address.

Thanks.

Friday, April 21, 2017 4:05 PM

All replies

• A customer requested their reply address be changed in Exchange 2013.  I set a new email address policy, applied it and it seems find on the Exchange side.  If I look at the email accounts, the new reply address is the default.

The issue is in Outlook.  Outlook still remembers the old reply address.  I'm sure I could create a new profile, and I can also go into the properties in Outlook and change it.  But I'd like to just have this automated.

Will Outlook eventually take the new reply address after things update or will this require manual intervention on all Outlook clients?   By the way, OWA uses the new reply address.

Thanks.

I think I've only seen this take effect after creating a new Outlook Profile.  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Friday, April 21, 2017 5:36 PM
  • Hi Glen,

Yes, it requires manual intervention on outlook client to take the new reply address.

However, I don't think users need to update the profile, even you reply the message using the old reply address, the "From" field still show the new reply address in message header. In other words, the recipient will only see the replied message from the new address, instead of the old one.

As below:

Create a new email address policy: alias@test.com, the old reply address : alias@exch.com;

When reply a message in outlook, it still show the old reply address: test1@exch.com

But, when we check the message header, it shows from test1@test.com:

So, don't care that.

Best Regards,

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 7:05 AM
  • Hi there,

Please download the OAB and see if that makes a difference:

http://accc.uic.edu/answer/how-manually-update-your-copy-global-address-list-gal-outlook

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:32 AM