What is the best practice for HA (High Availability) and Load balancing incoming SMTP traffic for 2 or more Exchange 2016 EDGE servers? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the best practice for HA (High Availability) and Load balancing incoming SMTP traffic for 2 or more Exchange 2016 EDGE servers?
    2 or more Public MX records with same priority?, For Load balancing it will work, but will it work for HA?

What will happen if one Edge server is down if you have MX records with same priority?

How do you do it?

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 6:39 PM

All replies

• Hi 

To setup HA you should use a network load balancer you can use either software or hardware. Here is a link to a blog about setting up HA on 2010 should be fairly simlar to 2016. http://techgenix.com/exchange-2010-edge-server-high-availability/

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 6:48 PM
  • Thanks,  But I'm still confused. found this from Microsoft.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124701(v=exchg.160).aspx

"You can load balance the SMTP traffic to your organization among Edge Transport servers by defining more than one MX record with the same priority value for your mail domain."

But that doesn't answer the question about HA, so maybe you are right, Windows NLB is the solution.

Running VMware and know that it have been some problem with Windows NLB and VMware before, but that maybe is solved now.

Having an HW network load balancer that works great today for client access but it doesn't seams it's right for SMTP traffic after a call to the support

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 7:23 PM
  • You can setup a second MX and this will then be more of a round robin setup than full HA. I useally only setup a second MX to allow redudancy on ISP connections.  

To setup HA I would have the edge record point to a load balancer and then this will load balance between the two edge servers and if one goes down it can then send all request to the active server in the NLB. 

If you find that my post has answered your question, please mark it as the answer. If you find my post to be helpful in anyway, please click vote as helpful.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 7:30 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, you can create more than one MX record with the same priority value to load balance the SMTP traffic to your Edge Transport servers. This is known as round-robin DNS load balance. DNS round robin can be used to distribute the load across multiple points. But it has no ability to detect failures to provide fail-over. Therefore, a hardware load balance is recommended.

Regards,

Alex Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Alex Sun MS Friday, September 29, 2017 3:25 PM
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:17 AM