Microsoft Deployment Toolkit and software update patches RRS feed

• Question

• HI

this is a very newbies question, when using the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit to setup workstations is it possible to make source image include the software update patches or does software update have to run after the install to have these installed ? we are looking for a good way of deploying a complete OS install in a quicker and more efficent way than USB key and then run software update as that is taking hours.

any help on this newbie question would be most helpful

thanks

JAmes

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:21 PM

All replies

• The most efficient way to do it, is to build your "reference" image in a VM and enable the Windows Update task in the sequence so that it is built with all the latest patches. It makes for fast deployments since no time or very little time will be spent by the client installing updates as your image will be up to date. I usually update my image quarterly or sometimes even monthly, depending on how many patches have been released since the last time I updated my image.

Deploying over the network, my image which includes Office takes about 30 minutes. That time will drop when we finally get our switches upgraded this summer from 100MB to 1000MB.

Daniel Vega

• Edited by Dan_Vega Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:53 PM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:51 PM
  • As Daniel said you would set up your VM reference image to do updates and then build a new USB Key every so often.

Basically you are gaining significant time on the Production build by adding a little time on the builds.

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 2:07 PM