none
can't retire deployed application?

Question

• According to this documentation, I should be able to retire an application while it is still deployed, the purpose being that those deployments are preserved.
    When I try to retire an appliation in SCCM v1706, it tells me:

"Configuration Manager cannot retire this application because other applications or task sequences reference it or it is configured as a deployment."

There are three deployments for this application - no task sequences etc refence it.

So is the documentation faulty or am I missing something here?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/apps/deploy-use/management-tasks-applications
    • Edited by Maylle Wednesday, January 3, 2018 1:09 PM typo in title
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 11:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The documentation is ambiguous about "Retire"

We could see that: If you want to retire a application that you have to delete the deployment. 

"When you retire an application, it is no longer available for deployment"

We could understand that: after retire an application, the deployment is no available.

"but the application and deployments of the application are not deleted" 

It might want to say that: The application has deployed to the client will not be deleted.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Maylle Friday, January 12, 2018 8:24 AM
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 3:00 AM

All replies

• Hello Maylle,

Have you tried deleting the deployment and then trying to retire the application.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers or vote if it helps

Amit Singh |Project Consultant (System center)

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 12:02 PM
  • Hi Amit and thanks for your answer,

When I delete the deployments, I am able to retire the application. However, I thought, judging from the documentation (linked in my initial post), that it should be possible to retire an application even with active deployments - from the documentation: 

"When you retire an application, it is no longer available for deployment, but the application and deployments of the application are not deleted."

There's also a few posts around the web warning admins that if they retire applications while still having active deployments, their clients would still try to install that application. So I guess this was possible in the past but then the functionality was changed at some point in Current Branch?

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 1:01 PM
  • Hi,

The documentation is ambiguous about "Retire"

We could see that: If you want to retire a application that you have to delete the deployment. 

"When you retire an application, it is no longer available for deployment"

We could understand that: after retire an application, the deployment is no available.

"but the application and deployments of the application are not deleted" 

It might want to say that: The application has deployed to the client will not be deleted.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Maylle Friday, January 12, 2018 8:24 AM
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 3:00 AM
  • Hi Yuxiang and thanks for your reply - sorry for my delayed answer. Looks like you're right - apparently the documentation is simply a little vague on that topic. Thank you for your explanation.

Friday, January 12, 2018 8:24 AM