Multiple web front ends RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone configured 2 WFEs ? I'm trying to help someone out they have 5 servers 2 WFEs, 2 App servers, 1 DB server

In an event of WFE1 goes down does it automatically direct everything to WFE2 ?

Thanks in advance

AJ MCTS: SP 2010 Configuration MCSA: Windows 7 If you find this post useful kindly please mark it as an answer :) TY

Thursday, March 26, 2015 6:34 PM

Answers

• NLB, yes... HLB depends on the "intelligence"... some will detect outages and correct... others won't.

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com
    Strategic Data Systems - for all your SharePoint needs

Thursday, March 26, 2015 7:39 PM
  • I use Windows NLB with 2 WFEs (make sure the Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application service is running on each) due to the unavailability of hardware load balancers.

The major downside of this is that Windows NLB isn't application-aware.  If IIS is dead on one of the servers, but the OS is running and the NLB heartbeat is still there, it will still receive requests and the users will get an error.

In an ideal world I'd have a pair of hardware load balancers :)

Thursday, March 26, 2015 8:44 PM

All replies

• I'd recommend that you spend a few minutes looking into how HTTP traffic works.

Long story short, it's possible... depends on how they're configured for failover... might be using NLB, might be using hardware load balancers, might be using reverse proxy.

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com

Thursday, March 26, 2015 6:43 PM
  • I thought NLB or HLB directs traffic ? I might be confused or don't have a great understanding of it. So with NLB or HLB if 1 of the WFE dies everything will just go to the 2nd WFE ?

AJ MCTS: SP 2010 Configuration MCSA: Windows 7 If you find this post useful kindly please mark it as an answer :) TY

Thursday, March 26, 2015 7:16 PM
  • NLB, yes... HLB depends on the "intelligence"... some will detect outages and correct... others won't.

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com

Thursday, March 26, 2015 7:39 PM
  • I use Windows NLB with 2 WFEs (make sure the Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application service is running on each) due to the unavailability of hardware load balancers.

The major downside of this is that Windows NLB isn't application-aware.  If IIS is dead on one of the servers, but the OS is running and the NLB heartbeat is still there, it will still receive requests and the users will get an error.

In an ideal world I'd have a pair of hardware load balancers :)

Thursday, March 26, 2015 8:44 PM