none
Change retention after the backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

For some reason our DPM did not make a monthly backup to tape. I set al the necessary settings on the PG like recovery goals and schedules, it should make his month backup on the last monday of the month. But the tape has the label of the weekly backup. So i'm looking for a way to change retention manually of the tapes, so I can make them overwrite-protected for x months/years. Can anyone help me out with this?

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:00 AM

Answers

• Retention range for tapes are not written to the tape at the backup time. This is calculated on the fly by the current retention range set on the protection group.

For example:

If you create a backup today to a tape with retention range set for one year and tomorrow you modify the protection group to retain backup to tape to 6 month you can see this being applied for the already created date by looking into its content. There you will see the expire date set for 6 month instead one year....

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:39 AM